Veterans Day has special meaning in this year of COVID-19, as communities throughout Kane County host virtual or limited in-person events commemorating the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” of 1918.
Whatever your plans on Wednesday, be sure to take a moment to reflect and remember the sacrifices our veterans have made for our nation.
What’s closed and what’s open in Kane County this year is a bit different this year, as well.
Kane County non-emergency offices are closed.
The offices of cities and villages are a mixed bag, with about half staying open and half closed on Wednesday. For the most part, garbage collection is NOT affected by Veterans Day, but be sure to check your municipality’s website for the latest info.
Most schools are open according to COVID-19 protocols, but most banks are closed Wednesday. Post offices are closed, too
- Click here for links to websites of Kane County cities, villages, townships and schools.
- Click here for links to library districts, park districts and other units of government.
As always, if any information below needs updating, email a link to email@example.com.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is closed Wednesday, Nov. 11.
- Most local banks are closed Wednesday.
- Most businesses (other than banking institutions) are open Wednesday, Nov. 11. In fact, there are many veterans discounts on this day.
- Veterans Day Restaurant Offerings. With COVID-19 mitigations in place for Region 8, indoor dining is prohibited, but carry-out dining is an option veterans can explore.
- Veterans Day Travel & Recreation Discounts
Cities and Villages
The following is information on non-emergency office hours for Wednesday, Nov. 11, in Kane County villages and cities based on the calendar information of each office’s website. If no mention is found, the default is the information provided in 2019.
For the most part, garbage collection is NOT affected by Veterans Day, but be sure to check your municipality’s website for the latest info.
- Village of Algonquin offices are open.
- City of Aurora offices are open.
- City of Batavia offices are closed.
- Village of Big Rock offices are closed. (Office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays.)
- Village of Burlington offices are open.
- Village of Campton Hills offices are closed. (Village Hall is temporarily closed to the public due to COVID-19.)
- Village of Carpentersville offices are open.
- Village of East Dundee offices are closed.
- Village of Elburn offices are closed. (Village Hall is closed due to COVID-19.)
- City of Elgin offices are open.
- City of Geneva offices are open.
- Village of Gilberts offices are closed.
- Village of Hampshire offices are closed.
- Village of Huntley offices are closed.
- Village of Lily Lake offices are closed.
- Village of Maple Park offices are closed.
- Village of Montgomery offices are closed.
- Village of North Aurora offices are closed.
- Village of Pingree Grove offices are open.
- Village of Sleepy Hollow offices are open.
- Village of South Elgin offices are open
- City of St. Charles offices are open.
- Village of Sugar Grove offices are open.
- Village of Wayne offices are open.
- Viilage of West Dundee offices are open.
All federal government offices that are non-essential will be closed.
- non-emergency offices are closed Monday, Nov. 11, 2019.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
- Most libraries in Kane County are open. But be sure to click the link to check on your local library’s COVID-19 rules.
- Park district facilities that have not been closed due to COVID-19 are open. Be aware that new Tier 2 mitigations go into place Wednesday, Nov. 11, in Kane/DuPage Region 8.
- Postal offices are closed on Wednesday, Nov. 11. The U.S. Postal Service won’t deliver mail on Wednesday.
- Most local schools are open. Most have some level of in-person classes in place as well as some online classes due to COVID-19.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
The state of Illinois observes Veterans Day and will close all non-essential offices. In recent months, that means there will be no daily COVID-19 news releases or the usual afternoon news conference.
- Stock markets are open on Veterans Day.