- Editor’s Note: This article is written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Call 630-208-3841 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
America Recycles Day is Nov. 15, offering everyone an opportunity to reassess how you might make improvements in your recycling habits, learn how to recycle right, and recycle more.
Recycling is something that each and every one of us can do to make a difference. Despite the occasional bad rap that recycling gets from folks who think it might be too hard or inconvenient or costly, recycling saves resources and creates jobs!
Please refer to these Recycling Guidelines to learn or brush up on what you can and cannot put in your recycling carts! And check out the A-Z list of all the other things you can recycle at local drop-offs.
In celebration of ARD, Kane County is excited to announce a couple of upcoming recycling program expansions.
Kane County Recycling Centers are adding BOOKS to the list of things you can drop off and are extending the hours at the Recycling Center in Batavia to include Saturdays!
Kane County accepts books at recycling events in St. Charles, but as we are now at the end of the event season — after the last event on Nov. 14. There are no events until next April.
So Kane County Recycling Centers in Batavia and West Dundee will start accepting books in December. Stay tuned for opening dates and more info in an upcoming article.
The county will be working with the same companies that manage book recycling at the events.
Pacesetter Books and their partner B&B Books will collect the books delivered to the Recycling Centers and sort them for re-usability and recycling.
Books that are not reused are taken to a recycling facility for pulping into new paper products.
- Books of any age in any condition, hard and soft cover.
- Ideally looking for newer text books, kids books, and any books in good condition that can be reused.
- No moldy or wet books.
- No shredded paper.
- Magazines. (Can go in recycling bin at home.)
Recycling Center Hours Expanded, Starting Dec. 1
Kane County has two recycling centers, one on Fabyan Parkway in Batavia and the other at the West Dundee Public Works Department.
The Recycling Center at 517 E. Fabyan Parkway in Batavia will expand hours to include Saturdays, starting Dec. 1.
Here are the details for each site:
Batavia – Fabyan Parkway
- Location: 517 E. Fabyan Parkway, Batavia
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, starting Dec. 1, 2020
West Dundee Public Works
- Location: 900 Angle Tarn, West Dundee
- Hours: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday
Items Accepted at Recycling Centers
- Appliances. (No Freon-containing devices like refrigerators or dehumidifiers).
- Books (NEW), see guidelines above.
- Clothing & Textiles.
- Scrap Metal. (Fabyan location only.)