Kane County Seeks Members, Alternates For Zoning Board of Appeals

Kane County Seeks Members, Alternates For Zoning Board of Appeals

Kane County is seeking three persons to serve on its Zoning Board of Appeals as full time and alternate members.

Alternate members of the ZBA attend meetings when regular members are unable to attend.

So, What Does The ZBA Do?

The Kane County ZBA makes recommendations to the County Board regarding amendments to the County Zoning Map for proposed changes in the land use of specific parcels and developments, and makes recommendations for revisions to the text of the adopted Zoning Ordinance.

The ZBA has the authority to grant variations to certain requirements such as lot sizes, frontage requirements and setbacks.

The board is made up of seven members appointed by the County Board chairman and confirmed by the County Board.

The seven regular members and two alternates are required to be from different townships. The six present members are from the following townships: Big Rock, Hampshire, Geneva, Plato, Rutland and St. Charles.

Applicants for the present vacancy and the two alternate positions should be residents from Aurora, Batavia, Blackberry, Burlington, Campton, Dundee, Elgin, Kaneville, or Virgil townships.

Other residents are welcome to apply in the event additional positions become available.

Applications are kept on file for one year.  Terms are five years.

ZBA members are compensated $60 per meeting and reimbursed for mileage.

How To Apply For Kane County Appointed Positions

More than 300 individuals serve on 39 boards and commissions in Kane County, which means that there is almost always a vacancy that needs to be filled.

If you’re interested in serving your community, there’s an easy way to find a board or commission that  draws your interest and when vacancies and/or reappointments are coming up.

Kane County’s directory of Appointed Positions, Boards and Commissions is now available online or in printed form by request.

As mentioned above, interested persons can apply online at using this form.

There are many appointed positions to choose, from Administrative Adjudication Officer to Zoning Board of Appeals. See the list below to get an idea of the categories of appointed positions.

Mark VanKerkhoff, Kane County Development & Community Services Department director, says volunteering for an appointed position is a great way to contribute your time and talents to the community.

“Not all citizens of Kane County serve on one of Kane County’s local boards and commissions, but it really does take a lot of people,” he said. “The citizens who serve on them are an important part of making Kane County a better place to live, work and play.”

Apply online or contact the County Board Office at 630-232-5930.

Kane County Appointed Positions

  • Administrative Adjudication Officer
  • Agricultural Conservation Easement and Farmland Protection Commission
  • Animal Control Administrator
  • Big Rock Drainage District #2
  • Board of Health Advisory Committee
  • Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) Board
  • Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning Policy Committee
  • County Building Officer
  • County Engineer
  • County Extension Board
  • County Plat Officer
  • County Zoning Enforcement Officer
  • Delinquent Tax Sale Agent
  • Drinking and Driving Task Force
  • Economic Development Advisory Board
  • Ethics Advisor
  • Fire Protection Districts
  • Fox Valley Park District
  • Grand Prairie Sanitary District
  • Historic Preservation Commission
  • Judicial and Public Safety Technology Commission (JPSTC)
  • Kane County Board of Review
  • Kane County Community Development Commission (CDBG)
  • Kane County Emergency Communications Board (KaneComm)
  • Kane County Emergency Telephone Systems Board (Kane ETSB)
  • Kane County Farmland Assessment Review Committee
  • Kane County Liquor Control Commission
  • Kane County Office of Emergency Management Director
  • Kane County Road Impact Fee Advisory Committee
  • Kane County Stormwater Management Planning Committee
  • Kane-Elgin HOME Commission
  • Lake Marian River Conservancy District
  • Longmeadow Parkway Corridor Task Force – Not Active
  • Mental Health Advisory Committee 28 Metra Board of Directors
  • Mill Creek Special Service Area Advisory Body
  • Mill Creek Water Reclamation District
  • Northwest Kane Airport Authority
  • Pace Board of Directors
  • Plato Rutland Drainage District
  • Public Building Commission
  • Regional Planning Commission
  • Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) Board of Directors
  • Rob Roy Drainage District #2
  • Sheriff’s Merit Commission
  • Sugar Grove Drainage District #1
  • Supervisor of Assessments
  • Upper Illinois River Valley Development Authority (UIRVDA)
  • Zoning Board of Appeals