- Editor’s Note: This article, part of a weekly series on Kane County’s amazing history, was contributed by Batavia Depot Museum Interim Director/Curator Amber Foster.
At the turn of the twentieth century, amusement parks sprang up all across the country. Electric rail-lines or steam railroads owned many of these recreation grounds.
The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Co. decided to openits own park on the 2.2 mile Geneva line that ran along the east side of the Fox river into Batavia. The railroad company leased the property of L.P. Barker, who owned the stone quarries in Batavia.
The recreation area comprised of 50 acres and was located on North River Street, north of Logan Street and Washington Avenue by the Fox River. The property was named Laurelwood park.
Trains were transferred at Geneva to the east side freight track which ran directly to the park grounds. There were about five trips every week to Laurelwood for patrons looking for a place to relax and escape during the season.
A Batavia Herald article from June 3, 1897 reads:
“The place is now being fitted up with all modern improvements, including a large dancing pavilion, with band stand and Georgia pine floor 80 x 40 feet, also a large dining hall, kitchen, ice cream parlor and restaurant, photograph gallery, shooting gallery, merry-go-round, swings, tables, benches, toilet rooms, check room and other accessories and amusements to be found in a first class picnic ground.”
Visitor’s came from all over Kane County and beyond for an outing and used many transportation mediums to get there. The Aurora and Geneva railway utilized a flat boat ferry to carry guests to the park.
A large tunnel under the Northwestern track afforded access to the west bank of the river where a wharf had been made.
Another notable mode of transportation was the Batavia excursion steam boat “City of Batavia.”
According to the June 6, 1897, Batavia Herald, the boat made frequent trips from Laurelwood park to the center of the city for guest pick up and drop off. The steamer had a canopy top and was able to carry 150 passengers.
The propelling wheel of the steamer provided the capability to run in 2 feet of water, and the engine was 10 horse power. This steam boat made its inaugural trip on May 30, 1897, and was well patronized for its convenience.
The park hosted many gathering and events including the Swedish Mid-Summer Festival. In 1897, Laurelwood park also became the chosen location for the Kane County Fair.
On July 29, 1897, the Batavia Herald reported: “Kane County Fair Assured.”
Citizens were able to provide the backing and support for the venture. Extensively advertised, the fair ran from Aug. 31 to Sept. 3 and was considered a great success.
The Fair Association offered many promotions opening day including a cash prize of $3 for “the best and largest kite that will fly to the highest altitude.” The prize for the second best kite was $2. Admission to the fair was 25 cents for adults, 15 cents for children under 10, and free admission in the evening.
From 1897 to 1901, Laurelwood was the premiere place to go for a seasonal outing. While the official cause of closure is unknown, a July 1901 fire burned down the grand stand and stock stall stable putting a halt to the Kane County Fair.
The fire marked the beginning of the end as the park closed not too long after that incident. Attendance may have also suffered due to the competition of the Chicago, Aurora, and Elgin’s Mill Creek and Riverview amusement park ventures nearby.
In 1996, based on the research of Batavia Historical Society’s Steve Lusted, the Batavia Park District named the area from Madison to Logan Street and River Street to the Fox River Laurelwood Park in remembrance of the park from yesteryear.
- “Batavia Excursion Steam Boat. “City of Batavia”.” Batavia Herald (Batavia), June 3, 1897.
- Batavia Herald (Batavia), July 17, 1901.
- “Fair A Great Success.” Batavia Herald (Batavia). Accessed September 2, 1897.
- “Research Leads to Park Name Change.” Kane County Chronicle (Aurora), November 9, 1996.
- “Kane County Fair Assured.” Batavia Herald (Batavia), July 29, 1897.
- “Laurelwood Park- Northwestern Railways New Pleasure Resort at Batavia.” Batavia Herald (Batavia), June 10, 1897.
- Lusted, Steve, “Laurelwood Park, Batavia, Illinois, 1897-1901,” Presentation, April 24, 1994
- “Street Car Co. Owns a Ferry.” Batavia Herald (Batavia), July 29, 1897.
About the Depot Museum
The Batavia Depot Museum opened in 1975 as a joint effort between the Batavia Park District and the Batavia Historical Society. The Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad Depot was the first of its kind built in 1854 and is recognized on the National Register of Historic Places.
Inside, the city’s past comes alive through exhibits detailing the history of rail transportation, manufacture of windmills, agriculture, banking, commerce and a brief stay by Mary Todd Lincoln at Bellevue Place. Suggested donation: $5. Your donation will benefit the development of museum exhibits and educational programs.
Depot museum is now closed for the season. Visit our online gift shop at bataviaparks.org/shop
Read The Kane County History Series!
- 1850-1925 Geneva — When Penmanship Was Mightier Than The Sword
- St. Charles Museum Site — From Serving Gas To Preserving History
- Elgin Puts 3,500 Priceless Photos Online
- Batavia-Inspired Miniatures Thrilled a Nation
- Aurora’s Maud Powell, World Famous Violinist
- Waxing Nostalgic on Geneva’s WGSB, WFXW
- American Doughboys of WWI — in St. Charles, IL
- Experience High-Tech History at April 21 ‘Open Elgin’ Event
- Batavia, IL — ‘Windmill Capital of The World’
- Meet Andy Aurora, Man About Town
- Celebrating The 50th Anniversary of 9-1-1 in Geneva
- Blue Goose And Evergreen Pub — ‘Shop Local’ 90 Years In The Making
- Elgin Is The Apple of Illinois Bicentennial’s Eye
- Nordens Soner And Batavia’s Swedish Society
- Aurora’s Melting Pot ‘Yearning To Breathe Free’
- Candles, Timing Devices, Phonographs And The ‘Life Cup’ — All Things Made in Geneva
- Hotel Baker, The ‘Masterpiece’ of The Fox Valley
- Elgin Celebrates Our Once-Burgeoning Dairy Business
- Reflections of Batavia’s Quarry Beach Pool
- Aurora’s Mabel O’Donnell, Author of “Alice And Jerry’ Books
- As Alice (Davis) Says, ‘Schools Out For Summer!’
- Elgin Watches, ‘The World’s Standard’
- Aurora Silverplate a Symbol of Good Taste
- Women Leaders Played Huge Roles in Geneva
- Nationally Renowned Summer Camp in St. Charles
- The Harrowing Story of William Lynch, Elgin’s Civil War Brigadier General
- Batavia Powered The Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railway
- Corsets Doing Big Business in Aurora? Scandalous!
- One Block of Geneva Tells 1,001 Fantastic Stories
- St. Charles’ Evergreen Pub — The ‘Before’ Photos
- 1917-18 — When Elgin Artists Went to War
- Thomas Cleveland — Batavia’s Presidential Connection
- Do Your Wurst — Aurora Meat Markets Are ‘In’ Again
- Geneva Is The Place For Graveyards And Ghosts
- Visit Amelia Anderson At St. Charles’ North Side Cemetery
- Calling All Artists! … For a Cobblestone Reflection in Elgin
- Batavia’s 108-Year-Old Gazebo Still Lights The Way
- The Compelling, Tragic Story of Aurora’s Black WWI Hero Frank Boger
- Geneva History Museum Invites Artists To Celebrate Cultural Heritage
- Elgin’s Anson Clark Soared in The Great War … And Life
- What It Meant To Be a Patrol Boy and Louise White School
- ‘Men’s Night’ Christmas Shopping Was a 1950’s Aurora Phenomenon
- St. Charles Remembers Colson’s Christmas-Day Fire of ’33
- The Art of Elgin’s Cobblestone Reflections
- When Suffrage Met Prohibition in Batavia
- Geneva Presents The Art of The Fox River
- Blansford Astronomical Clock Is Aurora’s Treasure
- St. Charles Returns Family Heirlooms From WWII
- Museum Lands Painting By Elgin Artist Albert Kenney
- Cars Still Fixed at Historic Location in Downtown Batavia
- A Bird’s-Eye View of 19th Century Geneva
- Sheldon Peck: Kane County’s Connection To The Underground Railroad
- Elgin High School Celebrates 150 Years of ‘Education For All’
- Batavia’s Incredible Roller Skating History
- The Fabled History of Jewelry Stores in Geneva
- Astonishing Buried Treasure Discovered in Aurora Outhouse
- Lincoln Elementary School in St. Charles Celebrates 90 Years of Education
- Remembering Elgin High Grad, Renowned Composer Daniel Brewbaker, 1951 – 2017
- Meet Batavia’s Sharron Moran, LPGA Star, ‘Most Beautiful Golfer’ of 1966
- The Many Iterations of Geneva’s National Food Store
- The Burlington Zephyr — A ‘Silver Streak’ Through Aurora
- What IS That Thing in Downtown St. Charles?
- 18 Events, Limited-Edition Poster For Preservation Month in Elgin!
- Julius Amandus Anderson’s WWI Memorial Trapunto Banner
- Geneva’s Swedish Days Celebrates Its 70th Anniversary
- The Historic Drive To Save Aurora’s GAR Hall
- The Story of St. Charles’ Paddlewheel Riverboats
- Meet Elgin’s Legendary Marshal — Andrew Barclay Spurling
- Jackie DeShannon ‘Put A Little Love’ In Batavia
- Aurora’s William S. Hart, Cowboy Movie Star
- St. Charles’ First Settlers, One Lost, Found Again
- Discover The Elgin Stories All Around You
- Batavia’s WWI French Connection
- Amazing Stories Behind Geneva’s Extraordinary Parks
- Roots Aurora Seeks 2019 Nominations For Aurora Cultural Champions
- Newly Renovated Thompson Middle School Retains Memories of St. Charles High
- Elgin’s Bluff City Cemetery Memorializes City’s Past
- Batavia Connection to 1969 Moon Landing
- Geneva Company Made Huge Contribution to Art Deco
- East Vs. West 1914 — Aurora’s Greatest Football Game
- North, Union Cemeteries Are St. Charles’ Hallowed Grounds
- Elgin Temperance Crusaders Take Hatchet To Beer Fans
- Ever Heard of Clybourneville? (Hint: It’s Now in Batavia)
- Geneva Ghost Stories Rise From Former Hospital Site
- Aurora Tells The Cows To Shut Up
- Baby Face Nelson And 100 Years of St. Charles Boys School ‘Good, Bad And Ugly’
- Behold The Telegraph, Elgin’s First Digital Communication!
- Mary Bailey, Batavia’s Trailblazing Woman Lawyer
- Holiday Traditions, Historic Creche at Geneva History Museum
- Welcome To Thanksgiving Dinner at Aurora’s Tanner House
- St. Charles’ Whiskey Bend Signaled Boom Time For Taverns
- From Elgin Watch Cases To 4.2 Mortar Shells
- Lorraine James’ Art Leaves Lasting Impression on Batavia
- Geneva Remembers The Tornado of 1967
- New Year’s Calling in Aurora
- Newly Digitized Footage Documents Construction of St. Charles Municipal Building
- ‘New Year’s Calling’ in Aurora Was The Online Dating of Late 1800s
- A Woman’s Right To Vote — In Elgin
- How The Household Journal Came To Batavia
- Geneva’s East Side — From Dodson To Dog ‘N’ Suds
- On Leap Year, ‘She-Wolves of Aurora’ Have ‘Gender-Swapping Fun’
- Mary Todd Lincoln, Batavia Resident
- The Women Who Broke Codes at Riverbank Labs in Geneva
- Turn Around in Aurora And You’ll Bump Into a Luxembourger
- Geneva History Museum Offers COVID-19 Journal
- Aurora’s Amazing Family Portrait Exhibit ‘A Brilliant Idea’
- How St. Charles Survived The Spanish Flu in 1918
- Elgin Epidemics — COVID-19 Is Not The First To Bring Suffering, Sorrow
- Geneva Museum Passes Milestone
- Aurora’s African-American Police Officers
- Garner Family Is St. Charles’ Juneteenth Celebration Story
- Notable Black Americans From Elgin, IL
- Black Batavians Played Key Roles in History
- Geneva History Museum Reveals Archive Redesign
- Family Secrets — Historian Finds 1866 ‘I Love … ‘ Message Scratched in Tanner House Window
- Cut Glass Was Booming During Roaring 20s in St. Charles
- Elgin Remembers Devastating Palm Sunday 1920 Tornadoes
- Batavians Find Treasure in 150-Year-Old Privies
- Geneva Hosts Virtual Night at The Museum
- Visit Aurora’s Tanner House — With a Click of The Mouse
- Elgin Cemetery Walk Is Virtual Travel Through Time
- James Prindle Jr.’s Roll Top Desk Returns To Batavia
- 60 Years Ago, Kennedy Campaigned in Geneva
- Aurora’s 1894 Central Station Proud Home of Regional Fire Museum
- Meet The Doctors Who Helped Shape St. Charles
- Secret Symbolism in Elgin’s Bluff City Cemetery
- Meet The Doctors Who Shaped St. Charles’ History
- Batavia Inventor Paul Hassler And His Arithstyle Adding Machine
- The ‘Background’ on Geneva’s Famous Creche
- Aurora Soldier’s Diary Reveals Gripping Story of War, Love, Pain And Heroism
- St. Charles’ Delnor Hospital — A Thanksgiving Gift in 1940
- Meet Elgin’s Mary Muirhead of The WWI Army Nurse Corps
Sign Up To KCC E-Newsletter