Kane County recycling centers in Batavia and West Dundee will start accepting books as of Tuesday, Dec. 1.
Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland said the new program is a pilot to assess the viability and the logistics at the recycling centers.
“Kane County accepts books at our recycling events in St. Charles,” she said. “But as we are now at the end of the event season and there are no events until next April, we wanted to continue to offer this option to residents, through the recycling centers, which are open year-round.”
Kane County will be working with the same companies that manage book recycling at the events.
Pacesetter Books and their partner B&B Books will collect the books delivered to the Recycling Centers and sort them for reusability and recycling. Some books will also be taken to and reused by SCARCE in Addison.
Books that are not reused will be taken to a recycling facility for pulping into new paper products.
Ideally looking for newer textbooks, kids’ books, and any books in good condition that can be reused, but will also take:
- Books of any age.
- Books with hard and soft covers.
- Encyclopedias & other hardcover collectables.
- No moldy or wet books.
- No shredded paper.
- Magazines. (Can go in recycling bin at home.)
Saturday Hours at Fabyan Recycling Center
Jarland said she is also excited to announce that the recycling center at 517 E. Fabyan Parkway in Batavia will expand its hours to include Saturdays.
“This offers an opportunity for those who cannot make it during the weekday hours,” Jarland said. “Please do utilize the weekday hours if possible to even out the traffic flow, and to alleviate the risk of overflow on Saturdays.”
West Dundee will continue to maintain Monday through Friday hours as always.
Map For Saturday Hours at Fabyan Recycling Center
This map is specifically for Saturday hours at the Fabyan Recycling Center. Weekdays, you can enter and exit at the site driveway.
- Have equipment in trunk or hatchback area.
- Staff will unload for you. Stay in your car.
- Pay for TVs and monitors with exact cash or credit/debit card.
- Wear a mask.
- See website for all information, including accepted.
Recycling Center Details
Batavia – Fabyan Parkway
- Location: 517 E. Fabyan Parkway, Batavia, IL 60510
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, starting Dec.1, 2020
West Dundee Public Works
- Location: 900 Angle Tarn, West Dundee, IL 60118
- Hours: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Items Accepted at Recycling Centers
- Books (NEW), see guidelines above
- Christmas/Holiday light strings
- Clothing & Textiles
- Scrap Metal (Fabyan location only.)