It’s been a strange year by any standards, and the “what’s close, what’s open” question for holiday weekends has taken on a whole new meaning.
That said, much of the info — with perhaps the exceptions of businesses and public transportation and community events — is familiar.
Weekend events involving big crowds have, of course, been canceled or altered. Probably the most prominent locally is Scarecrow Fest in St. Charles, which this year has been re-imagined as the Scarecrow Stroll.
In other years, this has been the weekend of the Chicago Marathon, with Metra travel deals. Not so this year, as the Marathon is a virtual event.
Here’s a look at what else is open and closed in Kane County on Columbus Day, which falls on Monday, Oct. 12 this year:
- Most retail businesses are open Monday, Oct. 12, 2020. That includes department stores, restaurants and grocery stores. Many businesses even have Columbus Day sales in the store and online.
- For shoppers, it should be noted that it’s a big day for car deals. Here’s a link to U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Best Columbus Day Car Deals.
Cities and Villages
The following is information on non-emergency office hours for Monday, Oct. 12, in Kane County villages and cities based on the calendar information of each office’s website. Click here for links to local government offices in Kane County.
Garbage and recycling collection is not operational in many cities and villages on Monday, but check with local public works offices at the links below..
As always, if you see any errors or discrepancies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Village of Algonquin offices are closed.
- City of Aurora offices are open. (No mention of closing on website.)
- City of Batavia offices are open.
- Village of Big Rock offices are closed. (Website says offices are open Tuesday, Thursday and by appointment.)
- Village of Burlington offices are open. (No mention of closing on website.)
- Village of Campton Hills offices are closed. (Website says Village Hall is temporarily closed to the public due to COVID-19.)
- Village of Carpentersville offices are closed. (No mention on website, but was closed last year.)
- Village of East Dundee offices are open.
- Village of Elburn offices are closed.
- City of Elgin offices are open.
- City of Geneva offices are open. (Columbus Day not listed as holiday.)
- Village of Gilberts offices are open. (No mention of Columbus Day on calendar.)
- Village of Hampshire offices are open.
- Village of Huntley offices are open. (Columbus Day not listed as holiday on calendar.)
- Village of Lily Lake offices are closed.
- Village of Maple Park offices are closed.
- Village of Montgomery offices are open. (Columbus Day not an observed holiday on village website.)
- Village of North Aurora offices are open.
- Village of Pingree Grove offices are open. (Columbus Day not listed as holiday on calendar.)
- Village of Sleepy Hollow offices are open. (Website makes no mention of closing on Oct. 12.)
- Village of South Elgin offices are closed.
- City of St. Charles offices are open. (Website makes no mention of closing on Oct. 12.)
- Village of Sugar Grove offices are closed.
- Village of Wayne offices are open. (No mention on website that offices are closed.)
- Village of West Dundee offices are open.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Monday, Oct. 12.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
Most libraries are open on Columbus Day, but due to the pandemic, it’s a good idea to check with your local library before you go.
Here are links to library districts in Kane County:
- Algonquin Area Public Library
- Aurora Public Library
- Barrington Area Library
- Bartlett Public Library
- Batavia Public Library
- Big Rock Public Library
- Elgin Community College Library
- Ella Johnson Memorial Public Library
- Fox River Valley Libraries
- Gail Borden Public Library
- Geneva Public Library
- Huntley Area Public Library
- Kane County Law Library
- Kaneville Public Library
- Maple Park Public Library
- Messenger Public Library of North Aurora
- Oswego Public Library
- St. Charles Public Library
- Sugar Grove Public Library
- Town & Country Public Library District
- Waubonsee Community College Library
Many park districts facilities are open Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, but again, due to COVID-19 restrictions, it’s good to check the following links for your local district’s info.
- Aurora Parks & Recreation
- Barrington Countryside Park District
- Batavia Park District
- Big Rock Park District
- Dundee Township Park District
- Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Fox Valley Park District
- Geneva Park District
- Hampshire Park District
- Hoffman Estates Park District
- Huntley Park District
- Oswegoland Park District
- St. Charles Park District
- South Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Sugar Grove Park District
- Sycamore Park District
- Village of Bartlett Park District
- Postal offices are closed on Monday, Oct. 12, for the Columbus Day holiday.
- Most local public schools are closed. According to the IASB, Columbus Day is a legal school holiday.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
- Most community colleges, colleges and universities are open on Columbus Day, but check these links for Kane County.
Metra will operate as usual on Columbus Day, but “usual” has a new meaning this year.
For specific schedule information, please click here to see the Metra website.