St. Charles firefighters successfully put out a house fire after finding flames behind a fireplace.
At 3:07 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020, the St. Charles Fire Department was dispatched to 608 S. 4th Ave. for a report of smoke inside a single-family home. Firefighters were on the scene by 3:11 p.m.
According to a St. Charles Fire Department news release, firefighters were able to determine that the fire was in the structural framing behind the fireplace. Exterior siding and sheathing were removed to access and extinguish the fire.
The structure was checked for any fire extension and the smoke was ventilated from the home. The building was returned to the occupants by 4:45 p.m.
Fire officials estimated the loss at $15,000, and the home is still habitable.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries during the incident.
The St. Charles Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Geneva, Batavia, Elburn, and West Chicago Fire Departments. The North Aurora Department changed quarters to assist with any additional incidents while St. Charles units were operating at the fire.
SOURCE: St. Charles Fire Department news release