Kane Organizations Eligible For $4.5 Million ‘Healing Illinois’ Grants to Address Racial Disparities
State officials announced today (Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2020), the launch of an initiative called “Healing Illinois” in response to racial disparities highlighted by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Launched in partnership with the Chicago Community Trust, the Healing Illinois initiative will provide an opportunity for residents of communities across the state that have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19 to engage in meaningful dialogue.
The first information session on the program is via Zoom and set for 10 a.m. tomorrow (Thursday, Oct. 8).
The Illinois Department of Human Services will oversee the new grant program.
The state has allocated $4.5 million to provide grants to community-based organizations of all sizes to help create community-centric, inclusive spaces to talk, learn and grow.
IDHS is working with the Chicago Community Trust to distribute $4.5 million in grants to organizations located across the state that will facilitate racial healing activities. Healing Illinois grants will be awarded in two rounds.
The application deadline for the first round is Oct. 14; the deadline for the final round is Oct. 30.
Organizations can apply once, and all grant applicants must be a 501(c)(3) in good standing with the Illinois Secretary of State and Grant Accountability and Transparency Act certified.
Organizations that are not GATA-certified, may be eligible to work with an intermediary. Healing Illinois has identified intermediaries across the state. Additional information on how to apply for grants is available online at www.healing.illinois.gov.
State-funded grants will fund activities in four areas:
- Promoting Dialogue: conversations to build understanding and empathy.
- Encouraging Collaboration: activities that bring people together in person or virtually to connect and to act together on a project or idea.
- Facilitating Learning: activities designed to build or enhance knowledge.
- Seeding Connection: racial healing circles, peace circles, or restorative justice activities.
Visit Healing Illinois for more information on grant eligibility, application tools, frequently asked questions, and the RFP. Further inquiries can be answered on the website or during the following informational sessions:
- Healing Illinois Info Session from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 8; Click here to register in advance for this session.
- Healing Illinois Info Session from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 15; Click here to register in advance for this session.
SOURCE: IDHS news release
IDHS Facebook Post