In an effort to stop sale of liquor and tobacco to minors, Aurora Police Department cadets went undercover in an operation with investigators from the Aurora Police Department’s Special Operations Group to conduct compliance checks across the city.
At each business, the cadets attempt to purchase alcohol and/or tobacco from the business
On Wednesday afternoon, APD’s cadets visited 21 businesses across the city to ensure they were abiding by laws governing the sale of alcohol and tobacco. At each business, the cadets attempt to purchase alcohol and/or tobacco from business and see if they are “carded” by the clerk.
Normally, these operations usually only lead to one or two violations, but on Wednesday, APD’s cadets were able to make illegal purchases of alcohol and tobacco from 12 local businesses.
The following businesses were issued Notice to Appears for either the sale of tobacco to a minor 13-12 (a) or sale of alcohol to a minor 6-29 (a):
- Dr. Lungs 245 S. Lake St.
- Mobile 832 W. Illinois Ave.
- Randall Liquors 1660 N. Randall Rd.
- AJ’s Liquor Land 2150 W. Galena Bl.
- Mobile 1331 N. Farnsworth Ave.
- Speedway 948 N. Farnsworth Ave.
- Foremost Liquors 178 S. Broadway St.
- 7/11 2626 Ogden Ave.
- Liquor Lane 2178 Ogden Ave.
- 7/11 2241 S. Eola Rd.
- Green Smoke Vape & Tobacco 444 N. Eola Rd.
- Atown Smoke Shop 4432 E. New York St.
The following businesses requested the Cadets to produce the proper identification, and refused to sale to them:
- EZ Mart 804 Oliver Ave.
- Foremost Liquors 133 W. Galena Blvd.
- Randall Liquors 719 N. Lake St.
- Shell 1851 N. Farnsworth Ave.
- Randall Liquors 1040 N. Farnsworth Ave.
- Smoke Rings 1661 E. New York St.
- Citgo 619 S. Broadway
- York Liquors 4300 E. New York St.
- Jay’s Unlimited Liquors 2900 Ogden Av.
SOURCE: Aurora Police Department news release