Arguably, there have been few Labor Days more worthy of celebration than the upcoming holiday in 2020.
During these strange times of COVID-19, it’s important to acknowledge the many Kane County residents who have lost jobs or are struggling to find work in the wake of the pandemic as well as the courageous front-line workers who show up every day to deliver our mail, check out our groceries or protect our homes and families.
Business during this holiday weekend is anything but business as usual.
Generally this time of year, we’d be posting the AAA report on holiday travel. While AAA isn’t posting this year, officials do say that 97% of travel this summer has been by car. To find out COVID-19-related travel guidance, the Illinois Department of Public Health has posted a map of travel risks, but state and county.
Many traditional Labor Day weekend events, such as the Fox Valley Folk Music And Storytelling Festival, have been cancelled, but there are still some Metra deals for trips into Chicago.
Here’s a look at what’s open and closed in Kane County, IL, on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 7, 2020).
- Many businesses are open on Labor Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. The exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open, and in fact, some locations will be open with extended holiday hours.
Cities And Villages
- Municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed.
- In general, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
Federal Government Offices
- Labor Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, Sept. 7, in observance of Labor Day.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices are closed on Labor Day, even if they have opened since the pandemic. Just to be sure, you should check with your local library or park district.
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- UPS, FedEx and the United States Postal Service do not pick up or deliver on Labor Day. In fact, the FedEx holiday service schedule says the Labor Day holiday is Sept. 4 through Sept. 8.
- U.S. Postal Service offices are closed.
- As of this week, all Kane County public schools have reopened the 2020-21 year for some form of classes, virtual or in-person or a combination thereof, but they are closed on Labor Day.
Metra trains are operating on alternate weekday and weekend schedules posted here, and the weekend schedule generally includes the Labor Day holiday — although we could not find a specific news release to that effect.
Metra has extended the availability of its $10 All-Day Pass through Labor Day. The pass, which is available for purchase on the Ventra app, offers most Metra passengers a significant savings on transit costs.
Metra also says that up to three children age 11 and under will be able to ride free with an adult through Labor Day as part of the summer expansion of its Family Fares program.