The NAMI 5K run to promote mental health will look a little different than it has in years past, but the popular run to support mental health initiatives is a “go” for Oct. 3 in Batavia.
“We hope to bring the same level of support and excitement to this year’s NAMI 5K!” said NAMI Executive Director Laura Martinez. “While we will not be offering chip timing, a gun start, aid stations, or port-a-potties due to COVID-19 restrictions and mandates, we encourage participants to help us support the work of NAMI Kane-south, DeKalb, and Kendall counties who offers mental health support, education, and advocacy, free of charge, to members of the community.”
- Click HERE for detailed race information.
Due to the current state of the pandemic, NAMI has transitioned its traditional NAMI 5K race to a virtual race while still encouraging participants to walk or run the regular course on Oct. 3 at their own pace.
All registered runners/walkers must complete their individual 5K and submit their results via text or email by midnight Oct. 3.
Participation Is Easy
- Download a running app on your phone that tracks both your distance and time. (Nike Run Club, Map my Run by Under Armour, Strava, etc.)
- Run a 5K or 3.1 miles.
- Screenshot your race results from your app.
- Send the screenshot with your name, hometown, sex and age by text to 630-492-0696 or by email to email@example.com to be recorded and released on our website.
You must complete 3.1 miles for your time to be counted!
All participants who submit a valid screenshot will be able to download a personal certificate with their results within a week of Oct. 3.
There is still time to register!
“We even ordered extra shirts, just for you! Register to participate in the virtual race for as little as $10!” Martinez said.
All proceeds help the National Alliance on Mental Illness serving Kane-south, DeKalb, and Kendall Counties provide education, support, and advocacy for individuals and families in our community faced with a mental health condition.
If You Are Running on Oct. 3
- Review your registration confirmation email and note your selected race time slot. Arrive a little before or at the time you selected.
- The regular NAMI 5K course begins just east of the Peg Bond Center located at 151 N. Island Ave., Batavia.
- The NAMI 5K race committee will be present at the Peg Bond Center as usual. Runners are encouraged to stop by before you begin your race for a contactless T-shirt pick-up and for a little encouragement before your run/walk!
- As usual, the course will be marked to help you along the way.
- You will record your race time as described above.
PLEASE NOTE: There will be NO SAME-DAY REGISTRATION available for the safety of our volunteers and participants.
- Please maintain 6 feet social distancing at all times among individuals that do not reside in your own household.
- If social distancing cannot be maintained, please wear a mask.
- Bathrooms and snacks will not be provided due to COVID-19 restrictions and requirements. Please use the restroom before you leave home.
SOURCE: NAMI news release and website