It’s hard to keep track of what’s open and closed on a normal business day of this COVID-19 pandemic year.
But when you throw in all the Phase 4 considerations and the individual decisions that go into opening or closing — and that this year’s Fourth of July falls on a Saturday — well, what’s open and closed this weekend in Kane County, IL, is to say the least an interesting mix.
The Independence Day holiday this year is observed on Friday, July 3, which means most local government offices will be closed that day — even if they have opened offices in conjunction with the Phase 4 requirements for masks and social distancing.
One service that’s a little different this year is garbage pickup. Check the links below, because some services are delayed a day from the usual pickup dates — and some aren’t. And on some websites, it’s really hard to tell.
Most businesses, including banks, will be open on Friday.
As far as we can see from visiting municipal websites, all Kane County communities have cancelled Fourth of July fireworks and major parades, but there are some activities going on in Kane County and fireworks displays nearby. Click this link for more.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is open on Friday, July 3. According to the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago website, when bank holidays fall on a Saturday, they are not observed. (When bank holidays fall on a Sunday, they are observed on the following Monday.)
- Local banks are closed for the Fourth of July and, generally speaking, open Friday.
- Some local businesses are closed on Independence Day, but many are open. Consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. One exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open.
Cities And Villages
- Some municipal non-emergency office have opened under Phase 4 guidelines and some have not opened to the public, due to the pandemic. Of those that have opened, many will be closed on Friday, in observance of the holiday. Check the links below for details from your municipality.
- In past years, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services often are delayed by one day after the Fourth of July holiday — but because the holiday is on a Saturday this year, that’s not true in all cases this year. The following information was collected in a search of municipal websites, but you should call or click on the links to find up-to-date information.
- Village of Algonquin. Offices closed Friday; Groot refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection will have no service delays.
- City of Aurora. Aurora has Groot refused collection, but we could not find a definitive answer on post-holiday collection.
- City of Batavia. Administrative office closed Friday; Advanced Disposal says there will be no service on Saturday, July 4, and collection will be delayed for the rest of the week by one day.
- Village of Big Rock. No info on office hours; Big Rock has Groot.
- Village of Campton Hills. Village offices are closed. The Campton Township Solid Waste Disposal District website says “if the holiday falls on a Saturday, then there is no change in service.”
- Village of Carpentersville. The Groot website page for Carpentersville says service is changed only if the refused collection day falls on the holiday.
- Village of East Dundee. Offices are closed Friday. During the week of holidays, there is a garbage collection change only if the holiday falls on or before our regularly scheduled collection day (Wednesday).
- Village of Elburn. Village offices closed Friday. “Due to Independence Day, on Saturday, July 4, 2020 residential waste and recycling services provided by Lakeshore Recycling Systems may be affected the week of July 6. For more information regarding your specific service area, click here.”
- City of Elgin. Elgin offices appear to be closed Friday, based on the 2019 information; “Collections falling on these holidays will be rescheduled the first working day following the holiday or the Saturday; New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. For example, the Tuesday collection area will be serviced on Wednesday and the Friday area serviced on Saturday.”
- City of Geneva. Offices closed Friday. “Due to Independence Day, on Saturday, July 4, 2020 residential waste and recycling services provided by Lakeshore Recycling Systems may be affected the week of July 6. For more information regarding your specific service area, click here.” The city’s website says garbage and recycling collection the week of June 29 will remain on the normal Thursday-Friday schedule.
- Village of Gilberts. Independence Day is observed Friday, July 3. Could not find a definitive answer on refuse collection.
- Village of Hampshire. Village Hall is closed Friday, July 3. “Pick-up is Thursday of each week except after certain holidays. Holiday schedule, which means everything is picked up one day later.”
- Village of Huntley. Offices closed Friday, July 3. “The collection day for that week will be delayed by one day.”
- Village of Lily Lake. Village offices closed. Could not find a definitive answer on refuse collection.
- Village of Maple Park. Offices closed Friday, July 3. “Waste Management serves as the waste carrier for Maple Park. They pick up garbage and recycling on Wednesdays.” It appears that, since the holiday is on a Saturday, waste pickup is unchanged.
- Village of Montgomery. Village office closed Friday, July 3. Kudos to Montgomery’s website for clearly stating: “There is no change in the schedule due to the July 4 holiday being on Saturday.”
- Village of North Aurora. Village office closed Friday, July 3. Since the holiday falls on a Saturday, there should be no change in Waste Management pickup, which is on Fridays.
- Village of Pingree Grove. Offices are closed Friday, July 3. “If a holiday falls on a weekday or a Sunday, and your regularly scheduled pickup is on or after the holiday, your pickup will be delayed by one day. Friday customers will be serviced on Saturday.”
- Village of Sleepy Hollow. Could not find definitive info.
- Village of South Elgin. Village offices closed Friday, July 3. “If a holiday falls on a Saturday, garbage pickup is not affected.”
- City of St. Charles. City offices appear to be open Friday, July 3. Refuse collection appears to be unaffected.
- Village of Sugar Grove. Village offices closed Friday, July 3. “The following holidays affect the refuse pickup schedule delaying pickup by one (1) day: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, & Christmas Day.”
- Village of West Dundee. Village offices closed Friday, July 3, and Monday, July 6. “With July 4 falling on a Saturday this year, the holiday will not impact refuse collection.”
Federal Government Offices
- Independence Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Friday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County. As a precautionary measure related to COVID-19, the entire Fermilab site in Batavia is closed to the general public. This includes access to the walking/bicycling paths. All public events and tours are canceled, postponed or held remotely until further notice. Additional information on Fermilab’s precautions regarding COVID-19 is located at: https://www.fnal.gov/covid19.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Friday, July 3, in observance of Independence Day.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well. That means we’ll publish a daily e-newsletter through Thursday, July 2, and the weekend and weekly e-newsletters on Saturday, July 4, and resume the daily e-newsletter on Monday, July 6, 2020. Click on KaneCountyConnects.com for any breaking news updates that happen over the weekend.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices and fitness centers are closed for the Fourth of July. As part of Phase 4, some park district fitness facilities have reopened and some libraries are open to the public. So, to be sure …
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- UPS, FedEx and the United States Postal Service do not pick up or deliver on Independence Day. Some FedEx have modified hours on July 3 and July 5, 2020. For Post Offices employees, either Friday, July 3, or Saturday, July 4, will be treated as a holiday depending on employee duties and regular schedule.
- Metra — Metra will be operating on a reduced service Sunday/holiday schedule on all lines Friday, July 3 through Sunday, July 5, 2020.
- For those needing to travel during the holiday weekend, Metra is offering a $10 three-day pass for unlimited travel July 3 through July 5. The pass can be purchased with cash on the train or via the Ventra app, which can be downloaded through the App Store or Google Play. (Select the “4th of July 3-Day Pass” within the app; do not select the regular “Weekend Pass” or the new “$10 All-Day Pass.”) Monthly Pass holders can use their tickets for unlimited travel across the Metra system July 3 through July 5.
- Metra’s Family Fares are also in effect: throughout the summer, up to three kids 11 and under can ride free with each fare-paying adult.Metra also reminds all riders that face coverings, covering both the mouth and nose, should be worn on board trains during the pandemic. Customers should also try to observe physical distancing guidelines; no more than one person per seat, please, unless you’re part of a group traveling together. Let’s all work together to keep each other safe.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules.