- Editor’s Note: This article recycling tips article was written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jarland at 630-208-3841 or email@example.com.
Kane County’s next recycling event is scheduled for 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 11, 2020.
Recycle Your Liquid Latex Paint
Liquid latex paint is highly recyclable, and can be processed for reuse, and the metal cans and lids are also recycled.
Kane County works with local recyclers to accept latex paint at events. During the last five years, Kane County has recycled more than 150,000 pounds of paint through this program. See more info on paint recycling here.
Do not dry the paint out! The benefit of this event is that you can get rid of all of your cans of liquid latex paint all at once and know it will be reused rather than landfilled.
NEW: Spray Paint Cans Will Be Accepted!
This year we are excited to be able to take spray cans for the first time. Kane County is now working with Flat Can Recycling to recycle spray cans (full or empty) at events, and they have drop-off locations throughout the Chicago area.
COST: A per-container recycling fee will apply at the events, payable by the resident, with card (preferred) or cash (exact cash if possible please) as follows:
- Spray Can — $1 each
- 1 Quart — $1 each
- 1 Gallon — $3 each
- 2 Gallon — $5 each
- 5 Gallon — $10 each
Oil Paint: Please note that we do not accept oil paints, varnishes, solvents, or products intended for industrial or non-architectural use. We cannot accept open or leaking cans.
Oil-based paint and stain are to be treated and disposed of as Household Hazardous Waste. Please see the HHW pages for information on free disposal for oil paint.
Kane County July Recycling Event 2020
In a normal year, this would have been the Annual Recycling Extravaganza, but we have scaled it down because of the constraints of working under the high level safety protocol related to COVID-19.
There are many alternate drop-off locations for batteries, bikes, fluorescent tubes, scrap metal, and Styrofoam, as outlined in this recent article on alternatives.
Where: 540 S. Randall Road, St. Charles
When: 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 11
- Electronics — free except for TVs and monitors*
- Clothing & Textiles — free of cost
- Books (any size, age or condition) — free of cost
- Paint (cans of latex paint and spray-paint cans) — per can fee**
- Paper already shredded — bring to book recycling area, in a paper bag, for recycling.
- TVs and Monitors * ($25-35). Pay online and bring printed receipt. All other electronics are free to drop off.
- Latex Paint ** has a cost, payable by the resident by card or cash (exact cash please). (cans: $3/gallon, spray cans $1/each, see here for more)
COVID-19 Safety Protocols: Please click, review and follow these rules in the name of health and safety.
Reminder: Shred Events Postponed Until Further Notice
Confidential document shredding will not be offered at events until further notice.