- Editor’s Note: This article is part of a series on the U.S. News 2020-21 Best Hospitals rankings. Next will be a look at Kane County hospitals that received recognition.
Two hospitals with affiliated hospital locations in Kane County have been named in U.S. News 2020-21 Best Hospitals Honor Roll.
The Best Hospitals Honor Roll essentially is a list of the top 20 hospitals in the U.S., as evaluated by U.S. News.
These are hospitals that excel across most or all types of care. Hospitals received points if they were nationally ranked in the 16 specialties — the more specialties and the higher their rank, the more points they got — and if they were rated high performing in any of the 10 procedures and conditions.
Two Chicago hospitals made the list, and each of them is affiliated with hospitals here in Kane County. They are Northwestern Memorial Hospital, which ranks 10th, and Rush University Medical Center, which ranks 17th.
Northwestern Memorial is the teaching hospital for Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and is a partner of Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital in Geneva and Northwestern Medicine Huntley Hospital.
According to the Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital website, “patients access to leading-edge clinical trials through Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, an integration that also fosters an environment of world-class patient care, academic inquiry and innovative research.”
Rush University Medical Center is a general medical and surgical facility as well as a teaching hospital. The evaluation of Rush University Medical Center also includes data from Johnston R. Bowman Health Center and Rush Children’s Hospital.
For most illnesses, patients do not need to go to an Honor Roll hospital, which may require traveling away from home and paying expenses for out-of-network care.
U.S. News says all rankings and ratings should be seen as just a starting point for patients who are considering, with input from their doctors, where to seek care. Individual diagnosis, insurance coverage and personal priorities are important factors in making a personal best choice.
And with the coronavirus infection rates changing rapidly around the country, current local circumstances may need to be factored in, too.
- NEXT IN SERIES: Best in Illinois
U.S. News 2020-21 Best Hospitals Honor Roll
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4 (tie). New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, New York
4 (tie). UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
7. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
8. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
9. NYU Langone Hospitals, New York
10. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
11. University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
12. Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
13. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, California
14. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
15. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
17. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
18 (tie). Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
18 (tie). Keck Hospital of USC, Los Angeles
SOURCE: U.S. News