- Editor’s Note: This article is part of a series of recycling and waste-collection tips during the COVID-19 emergency, written by Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jarland at 630-208-3841 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article mentioned All Spoked Up in Batavia as a bicycle drop-off location, but the Batavia location has closed. We’ve added the Batavia Bicycle Commission to the list. The organization repairs bikes and donates them to people in need, and contact information is provided below.
Kane County has scaled down this year’s summer Recycling Extravaganza, scheduled for Saturday, July 11, 2020, due to safety protocol constraints related to COVID-19.
The list of items we will NOT be accepting this year includes bicycles, but there is a great opportunity for you to clear your old unused bikes out of storage coming up this weekend!
Gail Borden Bike Collection Event
- What: Bike collection recycling event
- When: 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, June 27, 2020
- Where: Gail Borden Library, Rakow Branch, 2751 West Bowes Road, Elgin, IL 60124. In partnership with Working Bikes. See here for more info.
- Accepting: Adult bikes in repairable condition, gently used kids bikes, bike parts and accessories.
Other Bicycle Drop-Off Opportunities
Bikes can also be delivered year-round to the following Working Bikes drop-off sites in Kane County, for refurbishment and reuse. Also see this map for Other Partnering drop sites. Please call in advance to make sure they are taking bikes at this time.
Aurora – Jim Short’s House
- 1650 Sheffield Court. Aurora, IL 60504
Batavia – Batavia Bicycle Commission
Geneva – Mill Race Cyclery
- 11 E. State Street, Geneva, IL. 60134
Reminder: Recycling Extravaganza Coming July 11
Though we will not be recycling bikes at the Extravaganza this year, items that will be accepted for recycling and reuse include: Electronics, Clothing, Books, and Paint.
Keep your eye out in the next few days for more info on this upcoming event.