With Illinois expected to move into Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois Plan on Friday, June 26, the city of Elgin announces plans for reopening certain public facilities that have been closed during the governor’s stay-at-home orders, beginning Monday, June 29.
Reopening plans will operate under the conditions outlined in Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois Plan.
Elgin City Hall
City Hall will open to the public on Monday, June 29.
Facility improvements have been implemented to ensure the safety of the public:
- All city departments will maintain a presence at City Hall, this includes services such as building permits, planning inquiries, plan review, licenses, payments, transfer stamps, general information, City Clerk related functions, purchasing/bids, and human resources.
- As Phase 4 begins, to limit hand-to-hand transactions, the city will be transitioning to touch-less payments. At this time only credit cards (excluding American Express), checks, cashier’s checks and money orders will be accepted.
- City employees will be required to wear masks when unable to practice social distancing and when working with the public in areas lacking plexiglass shielding.
- The public will be required to wear a mask and practice social distancing when inside the building.
- Plexiglass barriers have been installed and customer areas have been reconfigured to afford six-foot social distancing.
- Enhanced and more frequent cleaning with disinfectants and biomist continues.
- When possible, the public is encouraged to continue conducting business with the city online, over the phone (call 311 or 847-931-5614 if outside of Elgin) and by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Edward Schock Centre of Elgin
The Edward Schock Centre of Elgin (The Centre) will reopen to the public on Monday, June 29, adhering to Phase 4 guidelines.
At the outset of Phase 4, the parks and recreation department will make its workout facility and indoor lap pool available to a limited number of members, in 90-minute intervals. Other amenities, including the walking track, are not available at this time but may become available as Phase 4 progresses. Group fitness classes will be available but subject attendee limitations.
A communication sent to all members outlines the instructions for returning to The Centre, including:
- New facility hours:
- 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sundays.
- Members may call the fitness desk at 847-531-7025 or visit cityofelgin.org/register
to sign up for a time slot.
- After each 90-minute session, the facility will be sanitized, which is estimated to take 30 minutes.
- The only entrance available will be the walkway from the Civic Center Parking Garage.
- Equipment has been spaced out to comply with social distancing requirements; not all equipment will be available for use.
- Drop in, daily visit or guest passes remain suspended at this time.
- Lap swim is available by reservation. Members signing up for a 90 minute slot will also have the option to reserve lap swim within that 90 minute interval.
Eastside Recreation Center
The ERC will not be reopening on June 29.
In the interim, ERC individual monthly memberships will be accepted at The Centre during the month of July at the current ERC monthly rate of $28.
Elgin Sports Complex
The Elgin Sports Complex had already resumed athletic practices with groups of no more than 10 persons, consistent with Phase 3 guidelines. No competitive games nor spectators have been allowed.
However, the Sports Complex is now expected to be able to permit competitive events after June 29.
Staff is working with tournament organizers to conduct previously scheduled tournaments at the Sports Complex. Staff will continue working with tournament directors to schedule play that will allow for proper distancing, disinfecting/cleaning, spectator viewing and team arrival and departure from the facility.
If tournament directors are not able to adhere to these guidelines, the Sports Complex will be unable to host their tournament. Staff will also be offering a modified adult summer softball league depending on team interest.
Facilities to Remain Closed to the Public Until Further Notice
- Eastside Recreation Center
- Hawthorne Hill Nature Center *Trails remain open from dawn until dusk
- Hemmens Cultural Center
- Elgin Art Showcase
- Elgin Police Department Lobby
SOURCE: city of Elgin news release