This very well could be the strangest holiday “open / closed” story in Kane County Connects’ history.
Monday, May 25, is of course Memorial Day 2020 in Kane County, IL.
Under “normal” circumstances, KC Connects puts together a list of government and business services that have the holiday off or operating as usual. While the COVID-19 pandemic and state of Illinois executive orders have resulted in more businesses and government offices being closed, it’s still a good idea to check and see — of those that ARE open — which are taking a day off.
Also this year, communities throughout Kane County are not holding the traditional Memorial Day Parade, but some are finding alternative ways to celebrate and remember.
The city of St. Charles, for example, is going to create a special video message from St. Charles Mayor Raymond Rogina that will be posted on the city of St. Charles website (www.stcharlesil.gov) and YouTube channel closer to Memorial Day.
Perhaps the most important reminder is that most communities’ garbage and recycling pickup services are taking a day off and the pickup is generally delayed a day.
- Many businesses are open during the pandemic are also open on Memorial Day, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open. One exception is Costco.
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open. Most Ace Hardware stores are open, and in fact, some locations will be open with extended holiday hours of operation on Monday, May 25.
Cities And Villages
- Municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed.
- In general, refuse, recycling, and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day for the entire week.
Federal Government Offices
- Memorial Day is a federal holiday, so offices are closed on Monday.
- That includes Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory here in Kane County. In fact, as a precautionary measure related to COVID-19, the entire Fermilab site in Batavia is currently closed to the general public. This includes all tours, events, activities, classes, and buildings, as well as access to the walking/bicycling paths.
- Kane County offices and courts will be closed Monday, May 25, in observance of Memorial Day.
- You can drop off your property tax bill in the drop-off box behind Building A, however, if you’re so inclined. The first installment is due June 1, but for those adversely affected by the COVID-19 virus outbreak, late penalty fees for first installment payments made on or before July 1, 2020, will be waived.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off, as well.
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park district offices and fitness centers are closed during the pandemic. But, all are offering many services online!
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Metra — Metra has been running on a modified schedule since March 19. Click here for a summary of service changes.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules. Pace has also modified its schedules and services due to the pandemic emergency orders.
- There will be not be the multiple street closures on Memorial Day that we would normally experience due to Memorial Day parades.
Want To Keep Up With Kane County News And Events?
Sign up for the Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter!
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Kane County Government, 719 S. Batavia Ave., Geneva, IL, 60134, http://www.countyofkane.org. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact