The National Weather Service Chicago reported two tornadoes near Minooka and another in the Hampshire area during the Saturday, May 23, storm event.
Kane County rain totals during that day were as high as 1.68 inches in Gilberts.
- Scattered strong to severe thunderstorms developed during the afternoon hours on Saturday, May 23, and continue through early evening.
- These storms brought a few tornadoes to the region, wind damage, and spotty large hail.
- Two confirmed tornadoes were in/near Minooka on the ground for six miles and another very brief one in the Genoa / Hampshire area. It’s possible there were a couple brief others producing little to no damage, but there was no confirmation of these.
- Considerable downburst wind damage also occurred in Shorewood and Joliet, with over a hundred trees down in total.
- Locally very heavy rain fell, with swaths of 2 to 3 inches of rain causing renewed flash flooding, especially across parts of Lake County, IN.
Kane County Rain Totals