- Editor’s Note: This article is part of a series of recycling Q&A tips from Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland. Got a question or idea for a recycling tip? Contact Jarland at 630-208-3841 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Can I Recycle Dog-Chewed Water Bottles?
My dogs like chewing up water bottles. Once they’re done with them and cleaned up, is the destroyed bottle still recyclable?
A: Not a good idea, due to the sorting process.
Well, that’s a new one.
Theoretically, they would still be recyclable, but practically speaking, probably not a good idea because I don’t think chewed bottles could be sorted properly.
Plastic bottles are separated via an optical sorter that uses air to blow the bottles into the correct bin. If the plastic bottle is flattened, it is likely that it will not be correctly sorted.
I would recommend trashing them after being chewed. Thanks for checking!
Read More Recycling Q&A Stories
- Recycling Q&A: What Should I Do With K-Cups?
- Recycling Q&A: Can I Recycle Milk, Juice And Soup Cartons? (Yes!)
- Recycling Q&A: How About Recycling Spray Or Pump Tops?
- Recycling Q&A: Can I Put Hangers In My Recycling Bin?
- Recycling Q&A: Can I Recycle Boxes For Frozen Foods? (Sadly, No!)
- Recycling Q&A: Caps on Containers? Household Batteries On The Curb?
- Recycling Q&A: Unscrewing the Mystery of Mason Jars And Metal Lids
- Recycling Q&A: Little Bits of Paper? Envelope Windows? Jam Jars With Metal Lids?
- Recycling Q&A: Why Can’t I Put Recyclables In Plastic Garbage Bags?
- Recycling Q&A: Aargh! I’m Surrounded By Plastics!
- Recycling Q&A: What Should I Do With Propane Tanks?
- Recycling Q&A: Should Thermal Paper Receipts Go In The Bin or The Garbage?
- Recycling Q&A: What Can I Do With Shredded Paper If It Can’t Go in Recycling Bin?
- Recycling Q&A: Why Can’t Clean Takeout Containers Be Recycled?
- Recycling Q&A: I’m Still Unclear About Clear Plastic Food Containers
- Recycling Q&A: Why Do We Have To Keep Caps Plastic, Glass?
- Recycling Q&A: (1) Frozen Food Boxes and (2) To Crush or Not To Crush
- Recycling Q&A: What Are The Rules For Recycling Wrapping Paper?
- Recycling Q&A: Can I Recycle Tea Bag Wrappers?
- Recycling Q&A: Should I Recycle My Microwave Or Trash It?