The Kane County Coroner’s Office has identified the 85-year-old man who died Monday (Feb. 3, 2020) in a senior-living apartment fire in Aurora.
According to news releases from the Coroner’s Office and Aurora Fire Department, Richard Meaderdes, 85, was pronounced deceased at 12:55 a.m. after a fire in the fourth-floor apartment at 401 N. Constitution Drive.
Aurora Fire Department Battalion Chief Jim Rhodes said firefighters responded at around 12:03 a.m. Monday to an automatic fire alarm at the seven-story senior living apartment building, with no smoke or flames showing.
The building’s alarm panel indicated a fourth-floor smoke detector activation. When fire crews found light smoke throughout the fourth floor, they sent out a second alarm, bringing about 40 firefighters to the scene.
Residents on the fire floor and on floors above and below were kept in their apartments while crews connected hose lines and searched for the source of the smoke.
Firefighters found smoke coming from around the door frame of one apartment, made entry and found Meaderdes deceased in the apartment.
There were no additional injuries to civilians or firefighters.
The fire was contained to Meaderdes’ apartment with only minor water damage occurring to a few units. No residents were displaced.
The estimated total dollar loss is $35,000.
Meaderdes was transported to the Kane County Morgue, where an autopsy was conducted Monday. The preliminary cause of death is determined to be “inhalation of products of combustion.”
Toxicology samples were collected and sent to a forensic lab for analysis.
Authorities said the investigation is ongoing.