- Editor’s Note: The following article is based on information provided on the Kane County Clerk’s Office election webpages. Kane County Connects encourages citizens to take part in the election process and to seek additional information sources to make informed voting decisions.
As of Jan. 18, there are 17 referendums on ballots in various parts of Kane County, according to information provided on the Kane County Clerk’s Office website.
The referendums presently on the ballot include:
- A $27.14 million Batavia Park District proposition to build an indoor recreation-activity center.
- A tax-rate referendum for the Gail Borden Library.
- A proposed tax levy for mental health facilities in Elgin Township.
- A proposition to give Big Rock Township more authority to regulate refuse collection.
- A question of allowing recreational cannabis sales in Maple Park.
- A proposition to issue $8.5 million in general obligation bonds for the Pingree Grove & Countryside Fire Protection District.
- A village of Pingree Grove proposition to levy a new tax for police protection purposes and have an additional tax of 0.6% of the equalized assessed value.
- A petition on whether the Pingree Grove & Countryside Fire Protection District trustees should be elected rather than appointed.
- A resolution to determine whether to dissolve the West Dundee Fire Protection District.
- A Town and Country Library District proposition to create a new tax rate for Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund employer contributions.
- Dundee Township tax levy referendum to provide mental health facilities.
- A resolution to determine whether McHenry County should persue a new structure for the Regional Superintendent of Schools or enter into an agreement with another Regional Office of Education to share it’s services.
Five of the referendums touch a small number of Kane County residents.
Three of those involve ballot questions for residents of Hoffman Estates, one involves an Oswego School District 308 proposal to raise the Property Tax Extension Limitation to .30% above the 2018 limiting rate, and another is a proposition to issue $147 million in school building bonds for Community School District 220, which is based in Barrington.
You can read more about the referendum language and find PDF versions of the full petitions by clicking the links below.
SOURCE: Kane County Clerk’s Office website