A North Aurora dispensary for medical marijuana has received early approval from the state of Illinois to dispense adult-use cannabis after the new law goes into effect on Jan. 1.
According to a state of Illinois news release, the North Aurora site at 61 S. Lincolnway, Suite 301, is among eight “same site” locations granted a license in the fourth round of announcements.
The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation will allow an existing medical cannabis dispensary to obtain an adult use dispensing license — so long as the dispensary complies with local zoning rules or other local laws.
The state’s recent approvals raise the total number of approved “Same Site” licenses to 22. The list of dispensaries approved for adult use cannabis sales can be found here.
So far, North Aurora is the only “Same Site” license approved in Kane County.
In addition to opening adult use dispensaries at the same site of their medical cannabis dispensaries, existing medical cannabis dispensaries are permitted under the law to open a second site for adult use sales at a different location. In the coming months, new applicants, including social equity applicants, will have the opportunity to apply for an additional 75 adult use cannabis licenses.
Social equity applicants are eligible for additional points on their application and for technical assistance, low-interest loans and fee reductions. More information about applying as a social equity applicant can be found here.
The medical dispensaries who received early approval adult use licenses this week are:
- Verilife (North Aurora) —161 S. Lincolnway Ste. 301, North Aurora, IL 60542
- Verilife (Arlington Heights) — 1816 S. Arlington Heights Road, Arlington Heights, IL 60005
- Verilife (Ottawa) — 4104 Columbus St., Ottawa, IL 61350
- Verilife (Romeoville) — 1335 Lakeside Dr. Unit 4, Romeoville, IL 60446
- Verilife (Evanston) — 1804 Maple Ave., Evanston, IL 60201
- MOCA – Modern Cannabis — 2847 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago, IL 60647
- New Age Care — 2015 Euclid Ave., Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
- Harbory — 8195 Express Dr. Marion, IL 62959
The department anticipates receiving additional applications for early approval adult use licenses as municipalities adopt relevant zoning ordinances regarding adult use cannabis.
Starting January 1, 2020, the law permits Illinois residents who are at least 21 years old to legally possess up to 30 grams of cannabis flower, up to 5 grams of cannabis concentrate, and up to 500 milligrams of THC in a cannabis-infused product.
SOURCE: state of Illinois news release