The village of Algonquin is celebrating, even in the midst of the recent snow and cold.
That’s because the village is about to hold a ribbon-cutting that signals the long-anticipated completion of the Old Town Algonquin Revitalization Project.
According to a village news release, the multi-year project has transformed the Old Town area with a new streetscape design providing many public amenities, including wider sidewalks and traffic calming enhancements to improve pedestrian safety, as well as decorative streetlights, public spaces, and a fresh look while maintaining the historic charm of the area.
And it’s all just in time for the holidays.
“The public is invited to attend the ceremony under the majestic holiday lights and visit stores and restaurants in the Old Town Business District before and after the event,” the news release said. “Their doors will be open to greet you!”
There ceremony is set to take place at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, and officials say it’s a simple way to thank you to the public and businesses for their patience and support throughout the construction.
Algonquin Village President John Schmitt, along with members of the Village Board, will host the ceremony. Local merchants will host open houses and offer specials before and after the event.
The following businesses will remain open until 7 p.m.:
- Bella Vita Salon, 321 S. Main St.
- Care Navigators, 321 Jefferson St.
- Ca Tara Skin Rejuvenation Spa, 308 S. Main St. – Enter to win a free spa day
- Creekside Tap, 7 S. Main St. – Food and drink specials
- Doerner Jewelers, 115 S Main St.
- Hand Made on Main, 320 S. Main St.
- Healthy by Choice, 102 South Main St.
- Heavenly Attic Resale, 307 S. Main St. – 20% off coupon for that day
- Peace Offerings, 214 S. Main St.
- Port Edwards Restaurant, 20 W. Algonquin Rd. – Dining coupons and complimentary New England clam chowder to go in the lobby
- RiverBottom Ice Cream, 301 S. Main St. – 10% off all coffee drinks
- Victorian Rose Bed and Breakfast, 314 Washington St.
VIDEO STORIES: Visit Old Town Algonquin!
Old Town Project Completion Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- WHO: Village of Algonquin Elected Officials and Staff, local business owners
- WHEN: 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19
- WHERE: Historic Village Hall Plaza, 2 S. Main St., Algonquin