Statistics from the Illinois Department of Transportation show that Kane County is on pace this year for one of its highest-ever counts for traffic fatalities.
According to the state’s Illinois Fatal Crash Data for 2019, Kane County has seen 29 traffic fatalities so far in 2019 — two more than all of 2018 and just two less than all of 2017.
Kane County totals for years prior to 2017 were not available on the state’s website.
So far this year, Kane County has the fifth-fewest fatalities among collar counties. Cook County has seen 239 fatal crashes, Will County 43, DuPage County 32 and Lake County 30.
Statewide, Illinois is on a track to see fewer fatalities in 2019 than in 2018.
As of Oct. 31, the state of Illinois has seen 816 fatalities this year. That compares to 876 on the same date last year.
2019 Traffic Fatalities By County
- Cook — 239
- Will — 43
- DuPage — 32
- Lake — 30
- Kane — 29
- McHenry — 17
- Kendall — 8
- DeKalb — 3
The following are some of articles about fatal crashes posted in 2019. Most are based on news releases from local police departments, the Kane County Sheriff’s Office or the Kane County Coroner’s office.
- Motorcyclist Charged With Homicide After 114 MPH Street Racing Crash on Route 31
- Coroner IDs 65-Year-Old Woman Killed Sunday in Elgin Crash
- UPDATE: DUI, Homicide Charges Filed in Weekend Fatal Crash on Aurora’s Southeast Side
- Coroner’s Office ID’s Woman Killed Monday Night in Crash on Farnsworth
- Sheriff’s Office: Duck Or Bird Might Have Caused Fatal Crash on Plank Road
- Man Killed When Motorcycle Crashes Into Truck on Illinois Avenue in Aurora
- Hinckley Man Killed in Memorial Day Crash in Blackberry Township
- UPDATE: Police ID Lake in The Hills Man Who Died in Motorcycle Crash on Randall Road
- 1 Dead After Shooting, High-Speed Chase, Car Crash in Aurora
- 119 Fatal Motorcycle Crashes Last Year in Illinois — 10 Traffic Fatalities in Kane So Far This Year
- UPDATE: Reckless Homicide, Aggravated DUI Charges Filed in Crash That Killed 2 Elgin Residents
- Coroner ID’s Carpentersville Man Killed in Route 31 Crash
- Elgin Grieves After 2 Fatal Pedestrian Crashes in 2 Days