- Editor’s Note: These homecoming road closure notices were provided by news releases sent to Kane County Connects in recent days. If we’ve missed any, please email a news release and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll update this article.
It’s homecoming season for schools throughout Kane County, and with the traditional homecoming parades come road closures, sometimes of major streets and state routes.
Here are three upcoming parades in Kane County and the timing of the associated road closures in the communities of Geneva, St. Charles and Elgin. We’re posting in alphabetic order, but the St. Charles parade is soonest — on Friday, Sept. 20, 2019.
Geneva Homecoming Parade To Close Several Streets
The city’s downtown streets will be full of Viking pride as Geneva High School celebrates homecoming with its annual parade Friday, Sept. 27.
State Street (I Route 38) between Third and Ninth streets will be shut down at 2 p.m. to accommodate the event. All streets listed on the parade route also will be closed to traffic:
- Geneva High School/Stevens Street east to Anderson Boulevard;
- Anderson Boulevard south to State Street;
- State Street east to Third Street; and
- Third Street north to Hamilton Street.
A detour route will direct motorists traveling eastbound on State Street to turn south on Ninth Street, east on James Street, north on Third Street and back east on State Street. The directions will be reversed for westbound traffic.
Police officers will be providing traffic control, but motorists should use caution when driving through the downtown due to the large crowd anticipated to attend the parade. The streets are expected to be reopened to drivers after 3:30 p.m.
SOURCE: city of Geneva news release
On Friday, Sept. 27, 2019, Elgin Academy will celebrate its annual Homecoming with families, friends and alumni, beginning with a parade on College Street and extending down Park Street and then back onto campus.
Elgin Academy officials expect 400 people on the campus that evening for the parade and homecoming event.
College Street will be closed from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27, for the parade staging. Park Street will be closed from 5 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. for the parade.
Academy Place will also be closed from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday for the parade and event.
The homecoming event will run on campus from 4:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
For any questions or concerns, contact Marnie Kut, assistant head of school at email@example.com.
SOURCE: Elgin Academy news release
The 2019 St. Charles North High School Homecoming Parade will be held on Main Street (IL Route 64) at 1 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20, 2019. The parade begins at West Main Streetand 6th Street, traveling east across the Main Street bridge to 2nd Avenue.
- Main Street will be closed between 7th Street and 5th Avenue (IL Route 25) beginning at 12:45 p.m.
- 2nd Street (IL Route 31) will be closed between State Street and Illinois Street beginning at 12:45 p.m.
- Main Street (IL Route 64) traffic will be detoured to Illinois Street during the parade. Truck Traffic is encouraged to use IL Route 38.
- 2nd Street (IL Route 31) traffic will be detoured to 7th Street. Route 31 truck Traffic is encouraged to use Randall Road as an alternate.
- South 5th and South 6th streets between Main Street and Illinois Street will be closed beginning at 11 a.m. for parade staging.
- 2nd Avenue between Main Street and Illinois Avenue will be closed beginning at 12:30 p.m. to allow parade units to exit the parade route.
Motorists are urged to use care and to be watchful for pedestrians. Traffic assistance will be provided by Police and Emergency Management personnel stationed throughout the detour route.
Motorists are strongly encouraged to use alternate routes. Traffic delays may be lengthy.
SOURCE: city of St. Charles news release