A grease fire in the kitchen of a St. Charles restaurant caused no injuries and a limited amount of damage but closed the Illinois Street Bridge for about 45 minutes Friday, as multiple fire departments responded.
According to a city of St. Charles news release, firefighters responded at 3:19 p.m. Friday (Sept. 20, 2019) to an activated fire alarm at 1 Illinois St.
Firefighters were on the scene in three minutes and, upon arrival, found a grease fire at the Eden on the River restaurant. A sprinkler head had activated and ultimately extinguished the fire, but smoke had spread through both floors of the structure.
The alarm was upgraded upon arrival and the structure was checked for fire extension. The offices and other units were occupied at the time of the alarm and the employees and patrons evacuated without incident.
There were no injuries to the occupants or to firefighters.
The Illinois Street Bridge was closed for approximately 45 minutes while firefighters operated at the scene. The cause of the fire is listed as accidental due to cooking. Fire loss is estimated at $1,000 to the contents.
The St. Charles Fire Department was assisted by the Geneva, Batavia, West Chicago and South Elgin Fire Departments.