The Kane County Sheriff’s Office is asking area residents to help identify a subject, apparently a juvenile, who has been seen on many cameras trying to break into vehicles in the Mill Creek subdivision.
If you have any info or recognize the individual in the video embedded above, the Sheriff’s Office asks that you contact Detective Wallace or Detective Schwab at 630-444-1103 or send the department a direct message.
“Please do NOT comment publicly” on the Sheriff’s Office Facebook page, Kane County Sheriff Ron Hain said.
Vehicle Burglaries on Uptick This Time of Year
Burglaries to automobiles have been reported frequently by multiple municipal police departments throughout Kane County during the month of July and early August.
The village of Lake in The Hills put out a reminder asking residents to lock their doors for vehicles, houses and garages.
“The Police Department is investigating multiple complaints of burglary from motor vehicles,” officials said. “Reports from concerned citizens in regard to suspicious individuals entering vehicles have been made and items of value have been reported stolen.”
In an effort to reduce crime, the Police Department offers the following recommendations to help keep your vehicle safe from a break-in:
- Lock the doors to your vehicle at all times.
- Remove valuable items from your vehicle.
- Remove electronics (along with their holders).
- Attempt to park your car in a well-lit location.
- If you park your vehicle in a garage, lock all entry doors and windows to the garage.
- If you park outside, bring your garage door opener inside.
- Should you notice your vehicle has been burglarized, notify authorities immediately.
- Report suspicious persons, vehicles or activity while it is occurring.
In Lake in The Hills, residents can report suspicious activity at 847-658-5676, text TIP LITHPD to 888777, or click here to submit a tip anonymously. For a break-in in progress, immediately call 911.
SOURCE: Kane County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page, village of Lake in the Hills Police Department news release