The city of St. Charles is holding an open forum on whether to allow recreational cannabis sales within the city limits once the new state law goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2020.
The possession and private consumption of cannabis by people 21 or older for recreational use will be legal in Illinois beginning on that date. But according to a city of St. Charles news release, municipalities may choose whether to allow retail cannabis stores in their communities.
Cities also may limit how many stores are allowed and where they can be located.
A public discussion around whether to allow recreational cannabis sales in St. Charles will be on the agenda for the Aug. 5, 2019, Government Operations Committee Meeting, at 7 p.m., in City Council Chambers, 2 E. Main St.
Official agendas are posted on the city of St. Charles website 48 hours prior to the meeting at www.stcharlesil.gov/meetings.
The following are some of the issues for discussion, as highlighted by city officials.
What to consider if recreational cannabis sales are prohibited in St. Charles
- No retail sites will be allowed to sell cannabis products for recreational use.
- Note: Presently there is one medical cannabis dispensary in St. Charles.
- Recreational cannabis use will be allowed in St. Charles even if recreational sales are prohibited.
- It will be legal to privately consume cannabis in St. Charles because it will be legal throughout the state. Only the sale of cannabis for recreational use can be prohibited in St. Charles.
- If communities surrounding St. Charles allow recreational cannabis sales, it will be legal for citizens to buy cannabis in those cities and privately consume it in St. Charles.
What to consider if recreational cannabis sales are allowed in St. Charles
- The St. Charles City Council may determine how many retail sites are allowed in St. Charles and where they can be located, as state law permits.
- The city can enact a local sales tax up to 3% on cannabis sales.
SOURCE: city of St. Charles news release
About the City of St. Charles
The city of St. Charles has gained national recognition as a family-friendly town and wide acclaim for its architecture, living up to its nickname Pride of the Fox.
Located 35 miles west of Chicago, in Kane County and northwestern DuPage County, St. Charles is home to 33,000 residents and a balanced mix of nearly 2,000 businesses that employ more than 18,000 people.