Lake in the Hills Airport, located just north of the Kane County line, has been named “Reliever Airport of the Year” by the Illinois Department of Transportation.
Lake in the Hills is one of six airports selected as winners of various Airport of the Year honors. The awards will be presented Thursday, May 9, at the Illinois Aviation Conference in East Peoria.
“Our vibrant aviation community strengthens the state’s status as the transportation hub of North America,” said Acting Illinois Transportation Secretary Omer Osman. “These awards recognize the tremendous dedication demonstrated by airports and heliports throughout Illinois. Sincere congratulations to the recipients.”
This year’s award winners are:
- Quincy Regional Airport – Primary Airport of the Year
- Lake in the Hills Airport – Reliever Airport of the Year
- Rochelle Municipal Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
- Effingham County Memorial Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
- Cushing Field – Private – Open to the Public Airport of the Year
- Ann & Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago – Heliport of the Year
The winners were selected as a result of their accomplishments throughout the year, including an outstanding partnership with IDOT and a strong commitment to customer safety and satisfaction.
Among the award considerations are cooperation and coordination with the state, facility safety record, promotion of seminars and aviation events, and facility maintenance.
To learn more about aviation in Illinois, visit www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-
Upcoming Construction Projects at Lake in The Hills Airport
- The airport is soliciting bids to repave the landside parking lot. Work is anticipated to begin by June 2019.
- Transient Apron #1 was opened in June, 2018, for daytime parking.
- Lake in the Hills Airport received a notice to proceed from the FAA with the proposed elimination of the displaced thresholds on runway Aug. 26. Design work is under way. Construction will likely take place in October. Runway closures are expected, but the work should only take several days. This is part of a multi-year effort to overhaul and widen the runway.
- Lake in the Hills Airport is working with Cenergy Power to bring a 2 megawatt solar farm to the airport. The process is being reviewed by the Federal Aviation Administration.
About The Illinois State Aviation System
The Illinois State Aviation System is one of the largest in the nation, comprising more than 870 individual landing facilities, 110 public-use aviation landing facilities, and 11 airports that offer scheduled commercial air carrier service.
The airport system is also quite diverse. Illinois is home to international airports, regional commercial airports, municipal general aviation airports, heliports, and even private grass strips in rural areas.
More than 42 million people flew on commercial flights to and from Illinois airports, plus millions more on general aviation or corporate flights.