What’s closed and what’s open on Good Friday (aka the Spring Holiday) and Easter Sunday 2019 here in Kane County, IL?
Here’s a quick rundown.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is open on Friday and, of course, closed on Easter Sunday.
- Local banks are, from our brief sampling, typically open on Friday and closed on Sunday.
- Many businesses (other than banking institutions) are open on Friday, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open on Friday. Some big-name retail stores are closed on Easter Sunday:
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid, but the hours may vary. Call ahead before making the trip.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open both days. Most Ace Hardware stores are open on Good Friday and closed on Easter Sunday (but open on “Easter Monday.”)
Cities And Villages
Several municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed for the “spring holiday” on Friday. They always closed on Sunday.
Typically, waste and recycling collection services are not affected by the Easter weekend holiday.
We’ve marked several that are closed for sure on Good Friday, but be sure to consult your local municipality’s website for further information:
- Village of Algonquin (Closed Friday, April 19)
- City of Aurora
- City of Batavia (Administrative offices closed Friday.)
- Village of Big Rock (Regular office hours are 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday.)
- Village of Burlington (Office hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday.)
- Village of Campton Hills
- Village of Carpentersville
- Village of East Dundee (Village offices closed Friday.)
- Village of Elburn (Village offices closed Friday.)
- City of Elgin
- City of Geneva (Closed Friday)
- Village of Gilberts
- Village of Hampshire (Closed Friday)
- Village of Huntley (Closed Friday)
- Village of Lily Lake
- Village of Maple Park (Closed Friday)
- Village of Montgomery (Village offices closed Friday.)
- Village of North Aurora (Closed Friday for spring holiday.)
- Village of Pingree Grove
- Village of Sleepy Hollow
- Village of South Elgin
- City of St. Charles
- Village of Sugar Grove
- Village of Wayne (Office hours are 8 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday)
- Viilage of West Dundee (Closed Friday)
Federal offices are open on Friday, according to this U.S. Office of Personnel Management list of holidays.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Friday.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has Friday off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park districts are open on Good Friday and closed on Easter Sunday. But, just to be sure …
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Post offices are open Friday and closed Sunday.
- Most local schools are closed for the spring holiday on Friday.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
State of Illinois
The state of Illinois does not take Friday off.
- All major U.S. stock exchanges (NYSE, NASDAQ and American Stock Exchange) follow the same holiday schedules, and Good Friday is one of the holidays. There is no insider trading reporting in these market holidays
- Metra will operate a special schedule to help customers start off the Easter holiday weekend. On Good Friday, April 19, the agency will be running a modified schedule in order to operate afternoon “early getaway” trains, designed to help customers get home and get their holiday started.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules.