“In like a lion?” I’ll say!
There’s still some time left in the day, but it looks like might have the lowest “high” temperature ever recorded on a March 4 here in Kane County.
Already, we’ve recorded the coldest March temperature since 2002. It was -3 this morning; On this date in 2002, it got all the way down to -7 degrees.
Other fun facts, as you can see in the graphic, are that there have only been 17 subzero March temperatures on record and that today tied for the seventh-coldest.
The normal low temperature this time of year is in the low to upper 20s.
How Cold Was It?
How low did it go today? Sugar Grove Airport recorded a low of -3 degrees and low wind chill of -23 degrees.
Astonishingly, Kane County did not record the most extreme temperature of the region, as we have quite a few times in this crazy winter of 2019.
Wind Chills Below Zero All Day
A frigid start to today by March standards will likely yield daily record cold highs this afternoon, with readings peaking only in the lower to mid teens.
Wind chills will remain below zero degrees for most locations today.
Scattered snow showers will be seen overnight into early Tuesday morning that may provide a patchy dusting. Tuesday will be more breezy than today and just a tad warmer.
Unseasonable Cold Continues
Unseasonable cold, but generally dry, weather will continue through later this week.
The next chance for snow will come on Thursday as an upper level disturbance drops out of the Upper Mississippi Valley and tracks across the region.
A warming trend is expected by the end of the week as an upper level ridge builds across the region.
Kane County Forcast
- Tuesday — Partly sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as -10. Blustery, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Tuesday Night — Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -7. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Wednesday — Mostly sunny, with a high near 26. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Wednesday Night — Partly cloudy, with a low around 10.
- Thursday — A 30 percent chance of snow after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 27.
- Thursday Night — A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.
- Friday — Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36.
- Friday Night — Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.
SOURCE: NWS Chicago