Decades ago, at the end of Monday Night Football, Don Meredith used to sing, “Turn out the lights, the party’s over … ”
On Saturday night, you’ll be asked to turn out the lights to start a party in celebration of Earth Hour, the international spring reminder to conserve energy and natural resources.
A 8:30 p.m. Saturday, March 30, lights throughout Kane County, across America and around the world will be extinguished, kaput, turned off in unison.
Jessica Mino, resource management coordinator of the Kane County Division of Environmental and Water Resources, is asking Kane County neighbors to join the millions around the world who turn off the lights to promote a sustainable future.
“Most of the resources we use come from the environment, particularly to create energy,” she said. “So turning off the lights will also protect the world around us. It is a symbolic action to encourage individuals, businesses, and governments to take accountability for their ecological footprint.”
The platform aims to build mass awareness on the values of biodiversity and nature in our lives, health, and well-being.
If you are new to Earth Hour, check out WWF’s Earth Hour Toolkits, specifically for businesses, educators, youth groups, and more!
Countdown to Earth Hour
Earth Hour is a great way to jump start April – the month of EARTH DAY!
To keep the momentum going, aim to follow the Earth Hour calendar, committing to a sustainability action each day up until Earth Day.
And follow the upcoming Countdown to Earth Day series from Kane County Connects – the first article coming Monday, April 1!
Track the countdown to Earth Hour here!
7 Things To Do in The Dark
Not sure how to pass the time? The World Wildlife Fund provides 7 things to do in the dark.
Earth Hour Event Ideas
- Gather your friends and participate in your local Earth Hour event
- Check out Earth Hour events near you at https://www.earthhour.org/event-map
- If you are interested, consider volunteering together for the event!
- If there are no Earth Hour events near you, how about starting your own?
- You can check out these sites to find out more and obtain more assets to help with your planning:
- Encourage your friends to be more sustainable through a social media challenge
- Example of a challenge could be a dare; e.g. I will not eat meat for one month if you give up single-use plastics for a week