- Editor’s Note: This article contains information available on local websites as of Feb. 8, 2019. Please check back for updates. If you see any information that is not correct, please email email@example.com.
Lincoln’s Birthday is kind of an odd holiday from an “open/closed” perspective.
We celebrate the 16th president’s birthday with joy and reverence here in Illinois because he’s our guy. It’s a state holiday, and it’s a day off for a lot of government employees.
It’s not a day off, however, for a lot of non-government employees. What’s closed/open Tuesday also is different than Washington’s Birthday aka Presidents Day, so there’s some sorting out to do.
The gist of it is that county and state government offices are closed, but local government and schools and businesses are (for the most part) open. Remember that the Secretary of State’s Office is closed, so you can’t get your driver’s license renewed on Tuesday.
That said, here’s a closer local look at what’s open, what’s closed on Lincoln’s Birthday, Feb. 12, 2019:
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is open. (But it will be closed for Washington’s Birthday, celebrated on Feb. 18 — so tune in to our next “open/closed” installment.)
- Most local banks are open.
- Most retail businesses are open Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019. That includes department stores, restaurants and grocery stores.
Cities and Villages
The following is information on non-emergency office hours for Tuesday, Feb. 12, in Kane County villages and cities based on the calendar information of each office’s website. Click here for links to local government offices in Kane County.
Generally, city and village offices appear to be open. Garbage and recycling collection will not be affected by Lincoln’s birthday.
As always, if you see any errors or discrepancies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Village of Algonquin offices appear open. (No mention of closing on calendar or website.)
- City of Aurora offices appear open. (No mention of closing on calendar or website.)
- City of Batavia offices are open.
- Village of Big Rock offices appear open.
- Village of Campton Hills offices appear open.
- Village of Carpentersville offices are appear open.
- Village of East Dundee offices appear open.
- Village of Elburn offices appear open.
- City of Elgin offices appear open.
- City of Geneva offices are open.
- Village of Gilberts offices appear open.
- Village of Hampshire offices appear open.
- Village of Huntley offices are open.
- Village of Lily Lake offices are open.
- Village of Maple Park offices are open.
- Village of Montgomery offices appear open.
- Village of North Aurora offices are open.
- Village of Pingree Grove offices are open.
- Village of Sleepy Hollow offices are open.
- Village of South Elgin offices are open.
- City of St. Charles offices are open.
- Village of Sugar Grove offices are open.
- Village of West Dundee offices are open.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
- Kane County’s 16th Circuit Court offices will be closed for the holiday.
Libraries are open on Lincoln’s birthday, but it’s a good idea to check with your local library before you go.
Here are links to library districts in Kane County:
- Algonquin Area Public Library
- Aurora Public Library
- Bartlett Public Library
- Batavia Public Library
- Big Rock Public Library
- Elgin Community College Library
- Ella Johnson Memorial Public Library
- Fox River Valley Libraries
- Gail Borden Public Library
- Geneva Public Library
- Huntley Area Public Library
- Kane County Law Library
- Kaneville Public Library
- Maple Park Public Library
- Messenger Public Library of North Aurora
- Oswego Public Library
- St. Charles Public Library
- Sugar Grove Public Library
- Town & Country Public Library District
- Waubonsee Community College Library
Metra trains typically run on a regular weekday schedule. Click this link for more information.
Most park districts facilities are open Tuesday, Feb. 12, but check the following links for your local district’s info.
- Aurora Parks & Recreation
- Barrington Countryside Park District
- Batavia Park District
- Big Rock Park District
- Dundee Township Park District
- Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Fox Valley Park District
- Geneva Park District
- Hampshire Park District
- Hoffman Estates Park District
- Huntley Park District
- Oswegoland Park District
- St. Charles Park District
- South Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Sugar Grove Park District
- Sycamore Park District
- Village of Bartlett Park District
- Postal offices are open on Lincoln’s birthday. (They’ll be closed for Presidents Day, through.)
- According to the Illinois Association of School Boards 2018-19 school calendar, Lincoln’s birthday is “a legal school holiday.” That being said, Kane County public schools appear to be open on Feb. 12.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
- Most community colleges, colleges and universities are open on Lincoln’s birthday, but check these links for Kane County.
State offices, including the Secretary of State’s driver’s license facilities, are closed on Lincoln’s Birthday.