- 10:30AM FRIDAY UPDATE
- Editor’s Note: Bookmark this article for weather updates.
Once again, Kane County is in the center of the winter storm.
The National Weather Service Chicago says Sugar Grove was the windiest official recorder in the area in the 24 hours prior to Wednesday, Feb. 13, with wind gusts at 48 mph.
This is on the heels of ice accumulations that were higher than expected, causing some downed power lines and loss of electricity, some late Metra trains and a messy drive earlier this week.
A Flood Advisory continues for the Fox River at Montgomery.
The weekend ahead includes 1 inch to 3 inches of snow possible on Sunday, Feb. 17.
For more information on what’s closed or opening later, visit the Emergency Closing Center website.
The latest road conditions can be obtained by going to www.gettingaroundillinois.com.
Here’s a look at what’s ahead for Kane County, courtesy of the National Weather Service Chicago:
Expect breezy and colder conditions today, but most areas will at least see some sunshine. Clouds increase again on Saturday ahead of the next system that will bring light snow accumulations area wide starting late Saturday night.
By Sunday evening, 1 to 3 inches of snow will be possible for most of northern Illinois with slightly lower amounts expected over northwest Indiana.
Strong Winds This Past Week
How To Measure Ice Accumulation
This could come in handy the next time we see an ice storm.
If you do measure ice accretion, the NWS Chicago would appreciate your reports. Feel free to snap a picture of the measurement, too! As always, safety first, if it isn’t safe to get outside to measure, then stay in!
Official Ice Totals
Extended Forecast For Kane
Here’s the forecast for the week ahead:
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as -4. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 10. Wind chill values as low as zero. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 27. Wind chill values as low as zero. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Saturday Night: A 50 percent chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. East wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
- Sunday: Snow. High near 28. East wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
- Sunday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 19..
- Monday (Presidents Day): Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.
- Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15.