- Editor’s Note: This article will be updated during weather events in Kane County. Keep it bookmarked for future reference.
To find out whether your school district is closing, please click the following links to public school district websites in Kane County or scroll down for additional links to social media.
- East Aurora School District 131
- West Aurora School District 129
- Batavia School District 101
- Central School District 301
- Geneva School District 304
- Kaneland School District 302
- School District 300
- School District U-46
- St. Charles CUSD 303
Another good resource is the Emergency Closing Center, which includes information on business, private school and other closings, openings or late starts.
Where To Find School Closing Information
Below is a list of Kane County public school districts as well as colleges and universities. Click on the link in each school district header to find school-closing info.
Information will be released through:
- A phone message to parents in both English and Spanish.
- The East Aurora School District 131 website: www.d131.org
- The East Aurora School District 131 Facebook page: www.facebook.com/EASD131
- The East Aurora School District 131 Twitter account: @EASD131 (www.twitter.com/EASD131)
- East Aurora School District 131 will only send out a notice when schools are closed. If there is no announcement, schools are open.
Here is how the district will communicate with parents and staff if schools are closed due to inclement weather.
By Telephone: If schools are closed due to inclement weather, the superintendent will notify parents and staff via phone blast.
If you have a current phone number on file at the school, our system will automatically call you as soon as the decision is made by the superintendent early in the morning. If a parent does not receive a school-closing call, it is because the phone number is not listed properly in the district’s computer. The parent would need to contact the school office on the next valid school day to update the files.
Email: District 129 also will notify parents and staff of school closings via email. Text Those following “SD129” on Twitter will receive a text message.
To help keep you informed of school closings, District 101 has six resources:
- BPS101 Messenger: Set personal delivery preferences for email, text messages and/or phone calls.
- BPS101 Emergency Advisory Line: Call (630) 937-8899 anytime for updates.
- BPS101 Website: Our site will have notices posted by 6 a.m.
- Emergency Closing Center: Information is broadcast on all Chicago-area TV stations and on the radio stations WGN AM 720 and WBBM AM 780. You can also access the center directly at EmergencyClosing.com.
In the event of school closing, all district families will be contacted via phone and email with the district’s parent notification system. Closing information will also be posted on the District #301 website home page at www.burlington.k12.il.us.
Only school closings or delayed starts will be announced. A two-hour delayed start could be used in the event of inclement weather. In the event of a delayed start all bus pick up times would be adjusted two hours later in the day.
If school is cancelled or a late start implemented, the legal guardians of all students will be notified through use of Geneva School District’s emergency notification system. The system will call the guardian’s primary and mobile phone numbers and send a message to the guardian’s email address, provided that current phone and email information is on file in the District’s student information database.
In addition, school cancellation and late start notifications will be tweeted to the District’s @Geneva304 Twitter account followers, posted on Geneva School District’s website and emailed to all 304 Connects subscribers. Families may also call the District’s Administrative Offices – (630) 463-3001 – to hear a recorded telephone message concerning school closings and late starts.
If weather conditions or other emergency situations make it necessary to close school, the district will notify various area radio stations and ask them to broadcast the information. Please do not call the school. School will be closed in the event of excess snow or if the wind-chill is greater than 40 degrees below zero. Determination of school closing will be made by 6 a.m.
The district will attempt to contact all local and Chicago media by 6 a.m. The closings will also be posted on the district website: www.u-46.org. You may also sign up for email notification. If school is closed, you will be automatically notified. You may also call the district’s central office at (847) 888-5000.
Please note: When school is canceled, all after-school events are canceled.
Closings will be prominently posted on the District 303 website by approximately 5:45 a.m. All emergency contact phone numbers provided to the district will be called by our automated calling system notifying parents of the closure.
Closings will be submitted to the Emergency Closing Center for posting.
Colleges and Universities
Most community colleges, colleges and universities are either closed or have a late start Thursday.
- Aurora University (Due to weather, all AU locations will remain closed through Thursday, Jan. 31. No classes or events will be held and administrative offices will be closed. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the university expects to return to normal operations at all locations on Friday.)
- Elgin Community College (Elgin Community College will be closed Thursday (Jan. 31). Normal business hours resume Friday morning (Feb. 1).
- Judson University (Judson’s Elgin and Rockford campuses will have a late start at noon Thursday, Jan. 31)
- Rasmussen College (No mention on website regarding school closure.)
- Waubonsee Community College (On Thursday, the college will open at 11:30 a.m. and employees are expected to report at that time. Waubonsee will have a late start Thursday. All classes and activities scheduled to start prior to noon are canceled. Classes starting at noon or later will proceed as scheduled.)