- Editor’s Note: This article contains information available on local websites as of Jan. 16, 2019. Please check back for updates. If you see any information that is not correct, please email email@example.com.
With the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday on Monday, Jan. 21, here’s a quick look at what is open and closed in Kane County, IL.
Federal government offices, banks, post offices and schools are closed for the national holiday. For the most part, local libraries, park district facilities and businesses are open.
Local government offices are a mixed bag, however, so be sure to scroll down for more information.
Typically, Metra trains run on regular, weekday schedules.
Proudly, Illinois was the first state to adopt MLK Day, in 1973. It wasn’t until 1993 that that all 50 states held MLK Day in one form or another — and even then it was “sometimes under a different name, and not always as a paid state holiday,” according to infoplease.com.
This is the first year that Aurora City Hall will be closed on MLK Day to honor the legacy of Dr. King.
Here are some reminders of what’s open and what’s not on MLK Day in Kane County:
- Most retail businesses are open Monday, Jan. 21, 2019. That includes department stores, restaurants and grocery stores.
Cities and Villages
The following is information on non-emergency office hours for Monday, Jan. 21, in Kane County villages and cities based on the calendar information of each office’s website. Click here for links to local government offices in Kane County.
Generally, garbage and recycling collection will not be affected by MLK day. The waste haulers we contacted said regular collection schedules will be maintained Monday — but it’s always a good idea to check with local public works offices at the links below to make sure.
As always, if you see any errors or discrepancies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Village of Algonquin offices appear open. (No mention of closing on calendar or website as of Jan. 16.)
- City of Aurora offices are closed.
- City of Batavia offices are closed.
- Village of Big Rock offices are closed.
- Village of Campton Hills offices are closed.
- Village of Carpentersville offices are closed. (No mention of closing on calendar or website as of Jan. 16, but was listed as closed last year.)
- Village of East Dundee offices are open. (No mention of closing on calendar or website as of Jan. 16.)
- Village of Elburn offices are closed.
- City of Elgin offices are closed.
- City of Geneva offices are closed.
- Village of Gilberts offices are open.
- Village of Hampshire offices are open. (No mention of closing on calendar or website as of Jan. 16.)
- Village of Huntley offices are open. (Columbus Day not listed as holiday on calendar.)
- Village of Lily Lake offices are closed.
- Village of Maple Park offices are open. (No mention on website.)
- Village of Montgomery offices are open. (No mention of observed holiday on village website.)
- Village of North Aurora offices are open.
- Village of Pingree Grove offices are open. (No mention of observed holiday on village website.)
- Village of Sleepy Hollow offices are open. (No mention of observed holiday on village website.)
- Village of South Elgin offices are closed.
- City of St. Charles offices are open. (Website makes no mention of closing.)
- Village of Sugar Grove offices are closed.
- Village of West Dundee offices are open.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Monday, Jan. 21.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has the day off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
- The Kane County Clerk’s Office divisions of Vital Records, Passports and Tax Extension in the Geneva and Aurora offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 21, 2019, for the MLK Day holiday.
- Kane County’s 16th Circuit Court offices will be closed for the holiday.
Libraries are open on MLK Day, but it’s a good idea to check with your local library before you go.
Here are links to library districts in Kane County:
- Algonquin Area Public Library
- Aurora Public Library
- Bartlett Public Library
- Batavia Public Library
- Big Rock Public Library
- Elgin Community College Library
- Ella Johnson Memorial Public Library
- Fox River Valley Libraries
- Gail Borden Public Library
- Geneva Public Library
- Huntley Area Public Library
- Kane County Law Library
- Kaneville Public Library
- Maple Park Public Library
- Messenger Public Library of North Aurora
- Oswego Public Library
- St. Charles Public Library
- Sugar Grove Public Library
- Town & Country Public Library District
- Waubonsee Community College Library
Metra trains typically run on a regular weekday schedule. Click this link for more information.
Most park districts facilities are open Monday, Jan. 21, but check the following links for your local district’s info.
- Aurora Parks & Recreation
- Barrington Countryside Park District
- Batavia Park District
- Big Rock Park District
- Dundee Township Park District
- Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Fox Valley Park District
- Geneva Park District
- Hampshire Park District
- Hoffman Estates Park District
- Huntley Park District
- Oswegoland Park District
- St. Charles Park District
- South Elgin Parks & Recreation
- Sugar Grove Park District
- Sycamore Park District
- Village of Bartlett Park District
- Postal offices are closed on Monday, Jan. 21, for the MLK Day holiday.
- Most local public schools are closed. According to the Illinois Association of School Boards 2018-19 school calendar, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is a legal school holiday.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
- Most community colleges, colleges and universities are closed on MLK Day, but check these links for Kane County. Waubonsee Community College’s first day of classes for the Spring semester is Jan. 22.