UPDATE: Elgin Police Seek Victim's Brother in Deadly Weekend Shooting

UPDATE: Elgin Police Seek Victim’s Brother in Deadly Weekend Shooting

(CREDIT: Google Maps)

Elgin police are searching for Shannon Smith, the 23-year-old brother of Shaprie Smith-Tate, 25, of Chicago, who was shot and killed Sunday outside the D Hangout Bar, 550 S. McLean Boulevard in Elgin.

According to a press conference statement by Elgin Police Chief Ana Lalley, four subjects were shot during the incident that took place at around 12:22 a.m. Sept. 9. Shaprie Smith was later pronounced deceased at a local hospital.

Detectives learned through their investigation that what started as an argument in the parking lot between several subjects including the suspect and the victim escalated into the shooting.

The suspect, now identified as Shannon Smith, fled in a vehicle that was later recovered in Chicago with the assistance of the Illinois State Police.

Lalley said the facts of the case have been reviewed by the Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office, which authorized the issuance of an arrest warrant for multiple charges including first degree murder for Shannon Smith.

“We have continuously attempted to locate Mr. Smith through contact with his family and at this point have exhausted all investigative means to locate him,” Lalley said. “We encourage Mr. Smith to contact a law enforcement agency to arrange a peaceful surrender.”

Shannon Smith Wanted

Anyone with information about Smith’s whereabouts is asked to call Elgin police at 847-289-2700.

“If you come into contact with him, please call 911 immediately and do not approach, as he may be armed,” Lalley said.

“We appreciate the patience of our community as we have been balancing the loss the Smith family experienced with our attempts to apprehend Shannon Smith. I would like to thank local, state and federal agencies that have assisted with this investigation and we extend our condolences to the Smith family.”

On Monday, the Kane County Coroner’s Office identified Shaprie Smith-Tate as the woman who was killed in the weekend shooting. After an autopsy, the preliminary cause of death was “multiple gunshot wounds.”

Toxicology samples were collected and sent to a forensic lab.

When officers arrived at the scene Sunday, they located three gunshot victims, all females, with varying degrees of injury who were subsequently transported to area hospitals. A fourth victim, a male, self-transported to a hospital.

As of Monday, one person was still hospitalized and two others had been treated and released.

SOURCE: Elgin Police Department Facebook page