Recent rains have dampened progress on some projects, especially those that involve earthwork.
But the Kane County Division of Transportation is reporting progress on two sections of the Longmeadow Parkway Bridge Corridor.
Meanwhile, KDOT begins intersection improvements at Huntley and Galligan Road — and the West County Line Road bridge work is substantially done.
Here’s a look at KDOT’s September progress report to the Kane County Transportation Committee:
LMP — White Chapel to East of IL Route 31
The contractor is doing earth work in wet conditions on the Longmeadow Parkway Bridge Corridor Section B-2, from White Chapel Lane to east of IL Route 31.
Crews are placing soil and grading the Raging Buffalo site and the areas adjacent to IL Route 31.
Pile driving continues for the retaining wall close to Forest Drive and at the new bridge over IL Route 31, and storm sewer installation and utility relocation are ongoing. Mass grading and earthwork on the project will continue throughout the year.
The project is anticipated to be completed in November 2019.
LMP — East of IL Route 25 to IL Route 62
Utility relocation along IL 62 continues. Crews are focusing on placing new pavement, turn lanes and curb and gutter on Longmeadow Parkway, which will continue for the next few weeks, weather permitting.
Other tasks will begin as weather and project conditions improve.
Anticipated project completion is June 2019.
West County Line Bridge
The West County Line over Union Ditch #3 bridge replacement project is substantially complete and open to the public ahead of schedule.
Some punch list and landscaping work remain and is weather dependent.
Completion for this remaining work is anticipated this month.
Huntley at Galligan Intersection Improvement
The contractor has started the project with the installation of temporary pavement and must now wait for utility work to be completed per the contract.
Utility companies are presently relocating gas line along Huntley and Galligan roads, which is expected to be completed by early to mid-September.
After relocation, the contractor will begin earthwork and pavement embankment work per the contract.
Project completion is Nov. 6, 2018, plus five working days.
What Else Is KDOT Working On?
Here is the status of county highway improvement projects that were recently awarded a construction contract, are still are in the design phase, and may require right-of-way acquisition and/or additional funding before moving to construction:
- Longmeadow Parkway Bridge Corridor — Phase II Engineering and ROW acquisition continue. (Four parcels remain.) Portions of Section C will go to construction upon the completion of Phase II Engineering and ROW acquisition as follows:
- C-1 (Brunner Forest Preserve to Sandbloom/Williams including new Fox River Bridge) targeting Oct. 2, 2018 local letting
- C-2 (Sandbloom/Williams to IL 25) targeting IDOT’s Sept. 20, 2019 letting dependent upon ROW acquisition
- C-3 (IL 25 intersection) targeting IDOT’s Nov. 9, 2019, letting
- C-4 Toll Collection System targeting 2020 local letting
- Bliss Road/Fabyan Parkway/Main Street Road — Phase II engineering is under way.
- Bunker Road Extension — Keslinger Road to LaFox Road – Phase II engineering and ROW acquisition are ongoing.
- Dauberman Road Extension – Granart Road to U.S. 30 — Phase I engineering is nearing completion and the locally funded portion of Phase II engineering has started.
- Fabyan Parkway at Kirk Road – ROW acquisition is nearing completion. Targeting IDOT’s Nov. 9, 2018, letting.
- Kirk Road over UP RR, Metra and Tyler Creek — Phase I engineering is ongoing.
- Kirk Road – IL 56 to Cherry Lane HSIP — Targeting IDOT’s Jan. 18, 2019, letting.
- Main Street Road over Blackberry Creek and at IL 47 — IDOT is the lead agency for the ongoing PE II and ROW acquisition.
- Randall Road at Weld Road/U.S. 20 – PE II is nearing completion. Targeting IDOT’s March 8, 2019, letting.
- Randall Road – Huntley Road to Big Timber Road Adaptive Signal Control combined with Stage 3 HSIP Randall Road from North County Line to Silver Glen Road – PE II is nearing completion. Targeting IDOT’s Nov. 9, 2018, letting.
- Stage 2 HSIP Fabyan Parkway – Kaneville Road to Raddant Road and Randall/Orchard Road – Fabyan Parkway to Jericho Road – PE II is nearing completion. Targeting IDOT’s Jan. 18, 2019, letting.
- Stearns Road Stage 5A at Randall Road/McDonald Road — PE II is nearing completion. Targeting IDOT’s March 8, 2019, letting.
- Various Engineering Projects – There are more than 60 active projects in various stages of completion.
For all Kane County traffic advisories, visit the Traffic Alerts Page of the KDOT website.
Work Zone Safety Alert
Drivers in this project area should be prepared to reduce their speed, exercise caution, watch for construction workers and construction vehicles entering or leaving the site, and obey flaggers and other traffic control devices within the work zone.
Drivers should expect delays and may want to add additional time to their commutes and consider the use of alternate routes while this work is completed.
Kane County reminds drivers that is illegal to talk on a cell phone or text while driving through a highway construction work zone. The minimum penalty for speeding in a work zone is $375.
Click this link to find out how Kane County Drivers can “make zero fatalities a reality.”