Geneva firefighters returning to the station from a previous call made an unexpected detour after the crew spotted a fire at 3:55 a.m. Aug. 14 in the vicinity of Randall Road and Fargo Boulevard.
The crew immediately responded to 2231 Fargo Boulevard, called in the general alarm fire response and deployed a hose line to suppress a residential deck fire. Firefighters made entry into the home to wake up and safely evacuate one resident and the family dog.
The fire was extinguished at 4:12 a.m. No injuries were reported.
The preliminary cause of the fire stemmed from the improper use of a portable fire pit. The deck sustained significant fire damage, but the attached single-family home was not impacted from the blaze, thanks to the quick actions of the Fire Department.
Damage estimates still are being compiled.
Firefighters from Batavia, St. Charles and Elburn assisted Geneva at the scene. The West Chicago Fire Department manned Geneva Fire Station No. 1 during the call. The Geneva Police Department provided additional support at the scene.
SOURCE: city of Geneva news release