No One Hurt After Kitchen Fire in Downtown Elgin Apartment

No One Hurt After Kitchen Fire in Downtown Elgin Apartment

An Elgin apartment caught fire Monday due to an unattended fire in the kitchen, Elgin fire officials said in a news release.

The Elgin Fire Department was dispatched to a fire at 2:21 p.m. Monday April 9. The first fire crews arrived within four minutes of dispatch.

On arrival, the initial responding crews found light smoke on the second floor of an apartment building. It was determined that there was a fire in an apartment on the north end of the building.

The alarm was upgraded to a working fire to bring in more companies due to the potential for fire spread. The fire was quickly extinguished using a hose line and it was confirmed that there was no one in the apartment.

The apartment building has a total of 16 apartments, but only one unit was affected. The resident of that apartment was displaced and will be staying with family.

No other families were displaced, and no residents or firefighters were injured.

Elgin Fire Chief David Schmidt reminds residents throughout Kane County of the importance of evacuating your building when the fire alarm goes off and also the dangers of unattended cooking.

It was the second small-apartment fire in Elgin in the past month.

SOURCE: Elgin Fire Department news releases

Read More