Lost Pet? Kane County Has New Website To Help You Find It!

Lost Pet? Kane County Has New Website To Help You Find It!

Coming home to an empty house when expecting your four-legged best friend to greet you at the door is something no pet owner wants to experience.

When your pet is lost, time is of the essence, but who do you call first? What websites are out there that will get information about your lost pet to the most people in your community the fastest?

The answer is www.KaneCountyPets.com.

“Kane County Animal Control is proud to announce that you can now submit a lost or found pet report, complete with photos, through www.KaneCountyPets.com, as well as search to see if your pet has been found,” said Brett Youngsteadt, administrator of Kane County Animal Control.

Here’s how it works:

Step 1: Click on www.KaneCountyPets.com.

You’ll see a page that looks like this:

Step 2: Click on the blue icon of the dog holding a Lost and Found card.

The icon is the one on the left side of the page, just below the list of duties of the Kane County Animal Control Department.

Clicking on that icon will take you to the Lost and Found Animal page, which looks like this:

Step 3: Check To See If Your Pet Has Been Reported Lost

Click on “click here” at the end of the paragraph under the first subhead: “I’VE LOST MY PET.”

When you click, you’ll see a page that offers advice on how to report a missing pet. It includes links to local and statewide websites and a ton of other super-helpful information.

That said, the first thing you’ll probably want to do is check out KCAC’s “Lost Pets webpage.” Under “Lost Pet Reports” you can click options to check for lost cats, lost dogs or other lost pets.

(Note: If you don’t see a bunch of photos right away, be sure to click on the prompt that says, “Display Animals Registered As Lost.”)

This is the top of the page you’ll see for “dogs”:

You can click on any photo, as well, and it will enlarge and provide additional information on each lost animal.

If you see your lost pet, click on the image to find out who found your furry friend and how to get in touch.

If you’ve found a pet and want to report it, there’s also an option to “Register Your Found Pet” on this page.

Step 4: File a Missing Pet Report

If you don’t see your pet on the Lost Pets webpage, you can fill out a form to report your pet as lost.

On the “I’VE LOST MY PET” page, scroll down until you see the following options:

The top of the form for lost dogs looks like this:

Simply fill out the form, as prompted, and you can submit your lost pet report in a place other folks in Kane County can find it!

Additional Benefits of Posting on KCC

The great thing about an online reporting resource is that you don’t have to wait for the KCAC office to open in order to report a lost or missing pet.

The www.KaneCountyPets.com site allows anyone to post missing and found animals 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“KCAC is committed to helping reunite lost animals with their owners and this feature gives the person searching another tool for those animals not housed at the KCAC shelter,” Youngsteadt said.

All posters will receive daily emails if anyone posts a missing/found animal that matches their description. This allows animals held by the caring citizens of Kane County to be part of reuniting a loved pet with its owner.

KCAC does recommend meeting at a public location like the Kane County Sheriff’s Office or local police department when returning a pet to its owner.

“We even have a link to Lost Dogs Illinois and Craigslist on our webpage,” Youngsteadt said. “It’s kind of like one-stop-shopping in order to hit as many social media outlets as possible.

“It’s just another way KCAC is helping our community bring their pet back to them as quickly as possible,” he added. “And that’s what we really want for our citizens — to bring their four-legged family members home safe and sound.”

SOURCE: KCAC news release

More on Lost and Found Animals

From the KCAC website:


Kane County Animal Control (KCAC) provides services to all of unincorporated Kane County and Municipalities contracted with our department. If your pet is picked up within city limits, it will first be taken to that city’s police department.

Call your police department or local animal control to see if they have found your animal, and to make a report.

If the pet was picked up in unincorporated Kane County it is likely that the pet may be at our facility. If your pet has gone missing, we’re here to help to try to get your pet back home as quick as possible. File a lost pet report, search animals at our facility and read tips for making the search for your pet easier click here


Have you found a stray animal that you’re not sure what to do with? Here are a few steps you can take to ensure that the animal is safely returned to its owner. View more information on how to help an animal find its owner click here


Please click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions that we may be able to help you with.


If the address where the dog is running is within city limits, your first point of contact must be the local authorities. Your local police or animal control will work in conjunction with KCAC to resolve the situation.

If the animal is running in an unincorporated area of Kane County, your first point of contact will be KCAC. Please call us at 630-232-3555 to report the sighting.