So, what’s closed and what’s open on Good Friday (aka the Spring Holiday) and Easter Sunday 2018 here in sleepy, enchanting Kane County, IL?
Here’s a quick rundown.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is open on Friday and, of course, closed on Easter Sunday.
- Local banks are, from our brief sampling, typically open on Friday and closed on Sunday.
- Many businesses (other than banking institutions) are open on Friday, but consult your local chambers of commerce for more information.
- Most big retailers are open on Friday. At least 11 big-name retail stores are closed on Easter Sunday:
- Many pharmacies will be open both days, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid, but the hours may vary. Call ahead before making the trip.
- Home improvement stores Home Depot and Lowe’s are open both days. Most Ace Hardware stores are open on Good Friday and closed on Easter Sunday.
Cities And Villages
Several municipalities’ non-emergency offices are closed for the “spring holiday” on Friday. They always closed on Sunday.
Typically, waste and recycling collection services are not affected by the Easter weekend holiday.
We’ve marked several that are closed for sure on Good Friday, but be sure to consult your local municipality’s website for further information:
- Village of Algonquin
- City of Aurora
- City of Batavia
- Village of Big Rock (Regular office hours are 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday.)
- Village of Burlington (Office hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday.)
- Village of Campton Hills
- Village of Carpentersville
- Village of East Dundee
- Village of Elburn — Closed Friday, March 30, 2018
- City of Elgin
- City of Geneva — Closed Friday, March 30, 2018
- Village of Gilberts
- Village of Hampshire — Closed Friday, March 30, 2018
- Village of Huntley — Closed Friday, March 30, 2018
- Village of Lily Lake
- Village of Maple Park
- Village of Montgomery
- Village of North Aurora
- Village of Pingree Grove
- Village of Sleepy Hollow
- Village of South Elgin
- City of St. Charles
- Village of Sugar Grove
- Village of Wayne (Office hours are 8 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday)
- Viilage of West Dundee — Closed Friday, March 30, 2018
Federal offices are open on Friday, according to this U.S. Office of Personnel Management list of holidays.
- Kane County non-emergency offices are closed Friday, March 30.
- Kane County Connects daily e-newsletter has Friday off. (Click here to sign up for the daily or weekly e-newsletter!)
Libraries and Park Districts
- Most libraries and park districts are open on Good Friday and closed on Easter Sunday. But, just to be sure …
- Click here for links to Kane County library district and park district websites!
- Postal offices are open Friday and closed Sunday.
- Most local schools are closed for the spring holiday break. Schools’ breaks vary, but many are off Monday, March 26, through Friday, March 30. Sometimes, school offices — U-46, for example — are open during spring break but closed on Friday, March 30.
- Click here for links to Kane County schools and school districts.
State of Illinois
The state of Illinois does not take Friday off.
- All major U.S. stock exchanges (NYSE, NASDAQ and American Stock Exchange) follow the same holiday schedules, and Good Friday is one of the holidays. There is no insider trading reporting in these market holidays
- On Friday, March 30, Metra will be modifying service for Good Friday ahead of the Easter holiday. Trains will operate on an Early Getaway schedule on most lines. A summary of the schedules can be found here.
- Check this link for Pace bus schedules.