Road construction season is winding down throughout Kane County, but the Division of Transportation is still pushing to get the last of the work done before winter’s arrival.
Here’s a quick recap and look ahead to roadwork projects you’ll be seeing in the coming years.
Longmeadow Parkway Work To December
Work continues on Longmeadow Parkway from Randall Road to Karen Drive, despite numerous delays and setbacks caused by the state of Illinois shutdown, unforeseen site conditions and extreme weather events over the summer and fall.
The majority of the new westbound concrete pavement has been paved in the past few weeks, and the contractor is presently working on Sleepy Hollow and Randall Road pavement.
Work in the coming weeks will involve retaining wall and preparation to switch traffic onto new pavement to allow crews room to safely remove the existing eastbound pavement of Longmeadow Parkway. Anticipated substantial completion for the roadway work is December 2017.
Bliss Over Blackberry Creek Bridge
Crews are working on the parapets and completion of the bridge. Grading and site work will complete the project, which has an anticipated completion date of fall 2017.
What’s Ahead For KDOT?
Here is the status of county highway improvement projects that are still are in the design phase, and require right-of-way acquisition and/or additional funding before moving to construction:
- Longmeadow Parkway Bridge Corridor — Phase II Engineering, right-of-way acquisition and construction continues. The remaining sections will go to construction upon the completion of right-of-way acquisition. Section B-2 and Section D are targeting an IDOT bid opening on Nov. 17.
- Bliss Road/Fabyan Parkway/Main Street Road — Phase I Engineering is ongoing.
- Bunker Road Extension — Keslinger Road to LaFox Road Phase II Engineering and right-of-way acquisition are ongoing.
- Dauberman Road Extension — Granart Road to U.S. 30 Phase I Engineering is ongoing.
- Fabyan Parkway at Kirk Road — Phase II Engineering and right-of-way acquisition are ongoing.
- Huntley Road at Galligan Road — Phase II Engineering and right-of-way acquisition are ongoing.
- Kirk Road over Union Pacific Railroad, Metra and Tyler Creek — Phase I Engineering is ongoing.
- Main Street Road over Blackberry Creek and at IL Route 47 — IDOT is the lead agency for the ongoing Phase II Engineering and right-of-way acquisition.
For all Kane County traffic advisories, visit the Traffic Alerts Page of the KDOT website.
Work Zone Safety Alert
Drivers in these project areas should be prepared to reduce their speed, exercise caution, watch for construction workers and construction vehicles entering or leaving the site, and obey flaggers and other traffic control devices within the work zone.
Drivers should expect delays and may want to add additional time to their commutes and consider the use of alternate routes while this work is completed.
Kane County reminds drivers that is illegal to talk on a cell phone or text while driving through a highway construction work zone. The minimum penalty for speeding in a work zone is $375.
Click this link to find out how Kane County Drivers can “make zero fatalities a reality.”