Twenty-three businesses from communities throughout Kane County have been honored with first-ever awards recognizing their efforts to make their workplaces breastfeeding friendly.
The Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace Recognition is an initiative of the Kane County Breastfeeding Coalition, and the awards are one way to bring awareness during Breastfeeding Awareness Week 2017, with its theme of sustaining breastfeeding together.
The coalition took an appreciative inquiry approach, looking for breastfeeding friendly workplace practices (Bright Spots) where they already exist in Kane County and shining a light to encourage others to adopt similar best practices that help mothers sustain the breastfeeding choice she had made.
The coalition also engaged community members directly to identify the “Bright Spot” employers through surveys to pregnant and breastfeeding moms, as well as surveys sent directly to employers. The criteria we are using are attached along with other background info that will help you with the media advisory.
The employers have been recognized at the bronze, silver, and gold recognition levels. They will be listed on the coalition webpage, kanehealth.com/breastfeeding.htm, and will also get a certificate in the mail. The employers are:
Gold Level Recognition
- Advocate Sherman Hospital, Randall, Elgin
- Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital, Geneva
- Rush-Copley Medical Center, Aurora
- Fermilab, Batavia
Silver Level Recognition
- City of St. Charles
- Kane County Health Department (Aurora)
- FONA International
- Well Child Center
- Chase Bank Call Center (Elgin)
- VNA Health Care (Highland Ave)
Bronze Level Recognition
- Goebbert’s Pumpkin Farm
- Buy Buy Baby
- Bardwell Elementary School
- Association for Individual Development
- Aunt Martha’s Youth Services
- Greater Elgin Family Care Center
- Kane County Health Department (Elgin)
- Richardson Electronics
- VNA Health Care (Farnsworth Ave and Elgin)
- Toys R Us
- Oberweis Dairy (North Aurora)
- Flinn Scientific, Inc.
- Roquette Corporation
The criteria used in identifying the different recognition levels are:
Gold Level Criteria
- An electric pump and accessory pump kit (or subsidize purchase of pump and/or kit).
- Written educational materials for all employees on the benefits of breastfeeding, and why and how to be supportive to breastfeeding co-workers.
- Workplace support groups for working, breastfeeding parents.
- Lactation consultant services for education, counseling and support before and after the baby’s birth and when the mother returns to work.
Silver Level Criteria
- A sink for washing hands
- A small refrigerator to store milk
- A comfortable chair
- A written policy supporting breastfeeding employees
Bronze Level Criteria
- Aunt Martha’s Youth Services, Aurora and Carpentersville
- Greater Elgin Family Care Center, Elgin
- Kane County Health Department, Elgin
SOURCE: Kane County Breastfeeding Coalition news release
- Coalition Seeks Best Breastfeeding Workplace in Kane County
- Time to Latch-On! Second Annual Kane County Event Set For Aug. 4-5
- Kane County Board Promotes Breastfeeding