The Forest Preserve District of Kane County will pay a little less than $85,000 to inspect 79 bridges along bike trails and over roadways in Kane forest preserves.
In a resolution that passed unanimously at Tuesday’s full board meeting, commissioners agreed to Alfred Benesch and Company’s proposal to inspect the bridges “for the purpose of determining existing condition of the bridges and budgeting for their long-term maintenance.”
The proposal is for an amount not to exceed $84,968.
The bridges include:
- Five steel bridges over roadways at $2,300 per bridge, or $11,500 in total.
- Twenty-eight linear trail steel bridges at $1,047 per bridge, or $29,316.
- Twenty-two linear trail wooden bridges at $942 per bridge, or $20,724.
- Fifteen internal trail steel bridges at $1,029 per bridge, or $15,435.
- Seven internal trail wooden bridges at $901 per bridge, or $6,307.
- Two stored steel bridges at 843 per bridge, or $1,686.
The bridge locations are identified in two maps, pictured below.
- Editor’s note: The feature photo for this article is of a bridge in Kane County, but that bridge may or may not be among the bridges slated for inspection.