It’s no exaggeration to say that the flavors that make America great are “Made in Kane County.”
That’s because one of the world’s greatest flavor producers has its international headquarters in sleepy, enchanting Geneva, IL.
Founded in 1987, FONA International creates and produces flavors for many of the largest food, beverage, and nutritional companies in the world. It offers flavor solutions for the confection, grain, beverage, performance nutrition, OTC and emerging markets from its state-of-the-art, 33- acre campus.
FONA International, Inc. offers flavor solutions for:
- beverages, such as ready-to-drink, dry mix beverage, and shots categories;
- confections, including sugar-free gums, panned confections, pressed mints, candies, and deposited gummies;
- grain applications specializing in cereals, bars, snacks, and baked goods;
- savory systems, such as prepared foods, soups, side of plate products, sauces and dressings, and culinary products;
- healthcare products, including over the counter products, supplements, liquid and solid doses, and alternative delivery systems;
- and sweet products comprising yogurts, desserts, gelatins, puddings, frozen treats, and ice creams.
FONA’s seven core values drive it to pursue excellence and foster incredible partnerships. More than just great flavors — FONA provides complete market solutions.
The family-owned business also makes a pretty darned good neighbor, employer and corporate citizen.
The company has been named one of the country’s best medium workplaces by Fortune magazine and consulting firm Great Place to Work. FONA was ranked 36 out of the 100 best medium-sized companies in the country.
“There’s a generosity of spirit that infuses the Best Small and Medium workplaces — one that has a measurable return,” said Kim Peters, executive vice president of Great Place to Work. “Whether it’s funding employee ‘passion projects’ or giving surprise gifts to customers, the best workplaces give it away. And they get it back in the form of inspired people who innovate harder and generate higher revenue.”
The company’s founder and CEO, Joe Slawek, is also known for his innovation and focus on product safety.
“Our founding vision was to be the high-tech, high-touch alternative to business as usual in the flavor industry,” Slawek told Food & Quality Safety in a 2016 interview. “Our approach to serving the needs of food and beverage manufacturers has always been to combine world-class expertise, technology innovation, and quality programs. To that we apply entrepreneurial energy and values-driven culture to deliver unmatched service, speed, quality, and flexibility.”
FONA’s recent attention-grabbing goes beyond awards. The company graced the cover of Illinois Manufacturer magazine’s Spring 2016 issue and the National Association of Manufacturers featured the FONA in its “Power of Small” campaign in June 2016.
“Our people embody the company’s core values in action,” Slawek said. “I see them reflect it daily, whether it’s through generosity, innovation or stewardship. It’s tremendous to see their personal and professional growth. They relentlessly pursue excellence every day.”
Read the ‘Made in Kane’ Series
Read More on FONA
- Kane County Company Named One of the Country’s Best Workplaces
- Kane County Company Among ‘Best and Brightest to Work For’ in 2016
Got an Idea For a ‘Made in Kane’ Story?
If you know about a cool company or product that’s “Made in Kane” worthy, please send an email to Kane County Land Use Planner Chris Toth at email@example.com. Include a brief description of the company or product, a link to its website and, if possible, contact information.