Planning a Vacation Outside the U.S.? Passports Taking 4 to 6 Weeks

Planning a Vacation Outside the U.S.? Passports Taking 4 to 6 Weeks

Planning a spring break vacation out of the country? You might want to act fast to get that passport.

The Kane County Clerk’s Office reports in its Up Front e-newsletter that passports are taking four to six weeks.

“Don’t wait until the last minute,” Kane County Clerk John A. Cunningham said.

A passport is required if you are traveling outside the United States. You can apply for a passport at the Kane County Clerk’s Office, Building B of the Kane County Government Center, 719 S. Batavia Ave.

While the average turn around time for a passport is four to six weeks, you may expedite for an extra charge bringing the turn around time to three weeks.

If you have questions about the process or cost of obtaining or renewing your passport, call the Kane County Clerk’s Office at 630-232-5964 or visit the travel documents page on the clerk’s website.

Passport ID Requirements

1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship — That could be your previous U.S. passport, or birth certificate or certificate of naturalization. Please note that birth certificates must have parent(s) information on them.

2. Proof of Identity — You may submit your previous U.S. passport, certificate of naturalization, driver’s license (not a learner’s permit or temporary license), military ID, or government identification card. Another important note: Your U.S. Passport or certificate of naturalization cannot be used for both proof of citizenship and proof of identity.

3. Social Security Number — Every applicant “must provide Social Security number” per 26 U.S.C. 6039E.

Read the frequently asked questions about ID requirements.

Clerk’s Office Passport FAQs

Read More