Due to a publishing error by the Elburn Herald, the 2016 assessment changes for property in Blackberry and Kaneville townships were omitted from some copies of the July 28 newspaper.
The entire list of assessment changes for both townships is being re-published Thursday, Aug. 4, 2016, in all copies of the Elburn Herald at no additional cost to Kane County taxpayers in order to comply with state law.
What does that mean to the average Jane or Joe? Basically, it means you have an extra week or so to challenge your property assessment, if you think the estimated value of your property was set too high by your local townships assessor.
The previous final filing deadline was set for Monday, Aug. 29, 2016; however, by state law the final filing deadline for property in these two townships must be extended until Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2016.
Geneva Township published assessed values on the same day as Kaneville Townships and Blackberry Township but did so in a separate publication without error. Geneva Township’s deadline to file a complaint is unchanged.
After all revisions and corrections by the local township assessors were applied, each non-farm property in Blackberry Township was equalized with a factor of 1.0406, and each non-farm property in Kaneville Township was equalized with a factor of 1.0710. Click this link to learn more about equalization factors.
- Assessment complaints for property in these townships must be filed by Sept. 6, 2016; by state law, no assessment complaints for property in these townships can be accepted after this date. Click this link to learn more about assessment complaints.
- To obtain assessment information about a property in this these townships, please call your township assessor’s office or visit your township assessor’s website. Click this link for a Township Assessor Directory.
Filing Deadlines for Assessment Complaints
By state law, the last day that an assessment complaint may be filed is the close of business on the 30th day after publication in a local newspaper. The only exception is if the Kane County Assessment Office is not open on the 30th day. In that instance, the deadline is automatically extended to the close of business on the next day the office is open.
- Assessment changes in Blackberry and Kaneville townships are being re-published Thursday; the final filing deadline for these townships is Sept. 4, 2016.
Assessment changes for Geneva Township were published on July 28, 2016; the final filing deadline for this township is August 29, 2016.
Assessment changes for Aurora Township were published on Aug. 1, 2016; the final filing deadline for this Township is Aug. 31, 2016.
- Assessment changes in Elgin, St. Charles, and Sugar Grove townships were published on July 21; the final filing deadline for these townships is Aug. 22, 2016.
- Assessment changes in Campton Township were published on July 14; the final filing deadline for Campton Township is Aug. 15, 2016.
- Assessment changes in Plato Township were published on July 13; the final filing deadline for Plato Township is Aug. 12, 2016.
- Assessment changes in Dundee and Rutland townships were published on July 7; the final filing deadline for these townships is Aug. 8, 2016.
- The final filing deadlines for Batavia, Big Rock, Burlington, Hampshire, and Virgil townships for the 2016 year have already passed; no further assessment complaints can be accepted for these townships.
New in 2016: Assessment Complaint Webinars
The Kane County Board of Review is now offering a series of short webinars to assist taxpayers who are thinking about filing an assessment complaint with the board.
- Kane County Assessment Office
- Township Assessor Websites
- Kane County Board of Review Rules and Procedures
- Homestead Exemptions
- Kane County Government
- Kane County Treasurer
- Kane County Clerk
- Illinois Department of Revenue
- Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board
- Illinois Property Tax Code
SOURCE: This is a reprint of information provided in the Kane Assessments Newsletter. To subscribe, click on this link.
- Aurora Township Property Assessments Will Be Published Aug. 1 in The Beacon-News
- Big Day for Property Tax Assessments: Elgin, St. Charles, Sugar Grove Publish Thursday, July 21
- Clock Starts Ticking July 14 to File Campton Township Tax-Assessment Complaints
- Heads Up, Plato Township! Assessment Changes Go To Print Wednesday, July 13
- Property Assessments for Dundee, Rutland Townships Will Be Published July 7
- Assessment Changes For Big Rock, Virgil Township Property Publish June 16
- UPDATE: Batavia, Burlington Townships Assessments Publish June 9; Filing Deadline Extended Due to Publication Error
- Hampshire Township Assessment Changes Published June 1