Interested in challenging the assessed value of your property this year? If you live in Big Rock or Burlington townships, you have about a month to do that, starting now.
The 2016 assessment changes for property in Big Rock Township are being published tomorrow (Thursday, June 16, 2016) in The Beacon-News, and the 2016 assessment changes for Virgil Township are being published today in the Elburn Herald. The final filing deadline for property in these two townships has been set for July 18, 2016.
After all revisions and corrections by the township assessors were applied, each non-farm property in Big Rock Township was equalized with a factor of 1.0165 and each non-farm property in Virgil Township as equalized with a factor of 1.0000. Click here to learn more about equalization factors.
- Assessment complaints for property in these townships must be filed by July 18, 2016. By state law, no assessment complaints for property in these townships can be accepted after this date. Click here to learn more about assessment complaints.
- To obtain assessment information about a property in this these Townships, please call the Township Assessor’s office or visit the Township Assessor’s web site. Click here for the Kane County Township Assessor Directory.
Filing Deadlines for Assessment Complaints
By state law, the last day that an assessment complaint may be filed is the close of business on the 30th day after publication in a local newspaper. The only exception is if the County Assessment Office is not open on the 30th day; in that instance, the deadline is automatically extended to the close of business on the next day the office is open.
- Assessment changes in Big Rock and Virgil townships are being published Thursday; the final filing deadline for these townships is July 18, 2016.
- Assessment changes in Batavia and Burlington townships were published on June 9; the final filing deadline for these townships is July 11, 2016.
- Assessment changes in Hampshire Township were published on June 1; the final filing deadline for this Township is July 1, 2016.
Assessment changes for Aurora, Blackberry, Campton, Dundee, Elgin, Geneva, Kaneville, Plato, Rutland, St. Charles, and Sugar Grove townships have not yet been published; as of today, no final filing deadline has been established for these townships.
New in 2016: Assessment Complaint Webinars
The Kane County Board of Review now offering a series of short recorded webinars to assist taxpayers who are thinking about filing an assessment complaint with the board.
SOURCE: This is a reprint of information provided in the Kane Assessments Newsletter. To subscribe, click on this link.