- Editor’s Note: This is the second in a series of articles on Kane County Connects regarding the 2015 property tax bill that will be sent out to Kane County residents, starting April 27, 2016. You can also see your tax bill online. Subsequent articles will look at the top 10 Kane County taxpayers, an estimate of the average property tax bill by township, plus where the property tax money comes from and where it goes.
What’s a relevant tax statistic? And why is it relevant to me?
Those are two “relevant” questions you might be asking when you see the tax chart presented in the annual press release from the Kane County Treasurer’s Office.
The “Relevant Tax Statistics” chart offers a quick summary of the total amount of real estate taxes collected in Kane County. The number alone is worth pondering: $1.269 billion.
Relevant Tax Statistics
As you can see by the chart, the good news is that the “average bill” was up by only about $53 from the previous year and increased less than 1 percent. The average bill for Kane County was $6,574 for the 2015 property taxes payable in 2016.
The number of parcels went up year over year by 550. There were 192,498 parcels for taxes payable in 2015 and 193,048 parcels this season.
Of that $1.269 billion collected, the biggest chunk goes to local school districts. The pie chart we’re embedding here is from last year, but it gives you a pretty good idea of the proportions.
Next in the series: Top 10 Kane County Taxpayers. Can you guess who, what and where they might be?
For More Information
- For questions about exemptions or appeals, call the County Assessment Office at 630-208-3818 or visit KaneCountyAssessments.org.
- For questions about how tax rates are developed, call the Kane County Clerk at (630) 232-5964 or visit KaneCountyClerk.org.
- For questions about tax bills or payments, call the Kane County Treasurer at (630) 232-3565 or visit KaneCountyTreasurer.org.
- FAQ page on the Kane County Clerk’s Office website
Read the Series
- Tuesday: Your Tax Bills Are Coming!
- Today: Relevant Tax Statistics
- Thursday: Top 10 Kane County Taxpayers
- Friday: Estimate of Average Property Tax Bill by Township